Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday Sickies, Snuggle, and Sermon

I don't have pictures for this post and as you read on, I'm sure you will appreciate it. Well, maybe one picture. We went to the zoo yesterday and that is a different post for a different day. But Ava was worn out and didn't take that great of a nap. Later that evening, I was at the store and Dan was home with the kids. Apparently Ava had quite a bit of candy. And she was complaining that her foot hurt. She did wear her new shoes to the zoo and walked a lot. But by last night, she would/could not walk at all. I was pretty concerned but planned to let her sleep on it and see how things were this morning. But this morning we woke up to an even more unpleasant surprise than a sore foot. She threw up in the night and slept in it. Hence the no pictures. Congealed hot dog and ketchup were all over her bed and crusted in her hair! This was actually our first vomit experience. And lucky for me it was the weekend and Dan was home because I don't "do" throw up. He got her cleaned up and I threw all her bedding in the wash. I did have to step in however, when Dan wanted to cut the throw up out of her hair. So today she had a high fever, wasn't eating well and was gimping around on her sore foot. She was a sad sight and she acted as I imagine she felt-Yucky. By this evening, her foot was feeling better and she was happy to lay and watch Finding Nemo on the couch. Tomorrow is a new day and while I'm pretty sure now it wasn't just a candy overdose (because of the fever and such) hopefully she'll just continue to feel better.


Sunday morning snuggle



Luke and I went to church by ourselves today. It was fast and testimony meeting. I have not been in a ward where so many people get up to bear their testimonies. It's literally a race and a member of the bishopric always has to get up and say "nobody else come up here, we're already ten minutes over and we'll only hear from the 12 people who are already up on the stand". He says it nicer than that though.

And another thing about our ward- the priests who bless the sacrament have been instructed that they should take at least 60 seconds to say the sacrament prayer. And I have to say that it really makes a huge difference. For those who know that prayer by heart, to hear it so slow really allows you to think about what's being said. The priest today messed up 3 times so I got to think about it a lot.

Among the testimonies was a convert of 7 months, Sister Chavez. She had a wonderful spirit about her and as she talked you could feel how much she loved the gospel and knew it was true. She shared how she is the only member in her family and how hard that can be. She talked about how she was running late for church today and she just prayed and prayed on her drive that she could make it in time to take the sacrament. It was a reminder to me how important the sacrament can be for us. And sometimes it takes someone who has lived without it to remind me of it's importance. Well, she ended by saying that she opened the door to the foyer and heard the sacrament prayer just beginning and thanked Heavenly Father that she could get there in time.

And then the last testimony was by James, a senior in high school who works at HEB, who I see every Saturday without fail when I do my grocery shopping. He is a sweet and outgoing boy who has a great testimony.He always shakes my hand and says, "Hi, Sister Colton!" He got up and said "I know the church is true because Josh had to say the sacrament prayer 3 times today so Sister Chavez could take the sacrament. "I chuckled along with most of the congregation and then I got goosebumps as I realized how true this was. And I was very impressed with James for making that connection. I know Heavenly Father knows who we are and what we need and desire as individuals. He hears our prayers and He answers them, too.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

That sounds awful. I hope AVA is feeling better. Corbin has been saying his leg hurts too. This only started during Nursery. He wouldn't walk on it. Maybe there is a foot FLU going around. I barely even got to talk to you at the zoo. let's make sure to get together again soon

dishes and laundry said...

Awesome post, Elise.

Poor Ava...but what a great husband and Daddy Dan is to take care of the throw up. That's very unique, I think, for a man to handle that kind of nastiness. Way to go, Dan!

I really like the 60 second rule on the sacrament prayer. Good story about Sister Chavez too. Sounds like you're in a neat ward.

Thanks for your testimony. Love you!

Kellie said...

I love reading your blog - you inspire me to better things with my own.

Elise said...

Tiffany-hope Corbin's leg is better.Ava says hers "beels better"

Wendy-I truly think that Dan is a saint. I don't know anyone more loving than he is and I think he is just the best. I don't know what i would do without him.

Kellie-thank you

Mat, Chenae & Jackson said...

Poor Ava...poor you and dan for your clean up duties.
Fun stories about church.
We miss you guys.