Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Holy Preschool Batman

I just went to the Preschool Fair this morning. I am hoping to get Ava in a 2 day a week program from 9am-12 pm roughly. A church/preschool hosted the event and representatives from other preschools were there with brochures and info. The place was a stroller-traffic jam, mommies everywhere!

Unless you go to a daycare center that offers preschool programs, all the preschools are church-run. I went today with 2 schools in mind. They had been recommended by a lady in the ward as more religiously tolerant. One of those schools immediately got the axe because they only offer full day. The other remains on my list and I plan to visit it this week.

Also, turns out that the host school is awesome. I really really liked it. I took a tour and was very impressed. Apparently so was everyone else. They told me registration was on Feb. 15. I asked if they thought it would fill up on that same day. She looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "yes!". She went on to tell me that registration started at 8 am but it was common for moms to show up at 5 am to get in line.

When I got home, I checked out my local mom's group message board and they are all talking about how people are showing up at 3 am. You'd think we were trying to get Wii's on Christmas Eve or something. And the sad thing is, I just might be crazy enough to bring my sleeping bag and wait in that line.

But it would be really cool if I went to see my second choice and loved it and could sign up. It is much less popular. But I have heard good things about it.

Out of all those schools, these 2 are my only options as I see it, based on price and schedule. It's funny because for the 3 year olds, there are many more programs that are 3 days a week, full day, as opposed to 2 days a week, half days.

Whew! Who knew preschool registration would be so absolutely insane? And why am I even tempted to sit in a parking lot for 5 hours in the middle of the night? I just really liked that school. Hmm...we shall see I guess.

4 comments:

dishes and laundry said...

That sounds insane - not you, but how competitive the preschool game is. Very different than up here, at least in my experience.

It sounds like you won't get a spot unless you get in line super early. You're a good Mom!!!

Val said...

Wow. I had thought about getting Quentin into preschool. Maybe not now. :) When you get a chance, could you send me an email with the names of the 2 schools you liked - with their tuition and schedules? Thanks!

emilyaaa said...

there are 4 ladies in my ward that run preschools out of their house...you've got no one like that there?!?!??! i thought that was a very stay-at-home-mormon-mom thing to do.

I've been considering do the same with Grace, but she and Abby play soooo well and soooo much that i think Abby might go crazy without grace around! we'll see, though.

if you do end up going that early, we'll want to hear all about it!!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

We haven't had good luck with preschools here in Idaho either. There aren't very many, no other churches around Rexburg to run one. The BYU-I one is full until next year when I could put her on the waiting list. But since she will be five by then that isn't even close to helpful. They have a great Head Start Program here but we don't qualify. I've tried to, in a non-pushy way, let other Mom's know that we are interested in a preschool group but haven't had anyone respond with an invitation. so we found some things at the library that look like they would be fun so It will just be she and I.Which should probably keep me from being lonely since the rest of my big kids are all in regular school here.