Friday, January 11, 2008

My Shark Dilemma

My sister-in-law Wendy has a very funny blog, if you haven't seen it. If you have then you already know that. But at the end of each post she asks a question and then people leave the answer with their comments.

Now I know my readership is much smaller than Wendy's, but I am calling on you, my few special visitors, to help me out with this.

When Mom and Dad came down for Christmas they brought with them a bunch of stuff for us. It seems like every time they come, we make a list of the things they can't forget. So on this trip, they brought their drill (as usual) so we could hang some things on the walls, and they brought the TV they had replaced and didn't need anymore, and they brought some clothes for the kids from Chandra. And as a surprise, I guess, they brought this gem...




When we lived in Miami and I was about 9, we went on a deep sea fishing trip. The whole time I kept saying, "I got something! I got something!" We would reel it in and all I "got" was some half eaten bait. Nobody was having much luck and the time was winding down and the captain above yelled for us all to bring in our reels.

This time I yelled "I got something! No, I really do this time!" Something was definitely tugging on my line and I knew it was big! Everyone looked at me like the Boy Who Cried Wolf and my dad rolled his eyes. Then the captain yelled out that I did, indeed, have something, and he thought it was a Hammer Head shark. When I heard this, my initial reaction was to throw the whole pole into the ocean and start running. But I didn't. My dad helped me reel it in, and it turned out to be a four-foot Tiger shark. They threw him up onto the deck and as he flopped all around they stabbed him with a big spear thing. I ran inside the cabin because I thought I was going to toss my cookies.

I wish I had the picture and a scanner but in my mom's album there is a picture of the captain, me, and the shark, who turned out to be only slightly shorter than me.

Of course, my dad had the thing mounted. And I was glad he did. Really, how many people can say they caught a shark? My guy friends in high school were planning a deep sea fishing trip and I told them they should invite me because I could teach them to catch a shark. They of course did not believe me until they saw it...




But really, what do I do with this? It doesn't exactly "go" in my house. This is one of those things you want your parents to keep and never throw away because it's SO important, but you just don't want it at your own house. Like your baseball card collection that takes up an entire suitcase (Dan), or the boxes and boxes of "mission stuff" (Leah), or the wedding dress you still have stored at your mother-in-law's house (me, sorry, Linda! And it's not that I don't want it, just haven't had a great way to get it here!), or the shark your parents are no longer tolerating (me, again).

Dan thinks if I'm not going to hang it up, we should throw it out.




Now I'm calling for your opinions, what do you think I should do with the shark? Hang it up? Toss it out? Keep it in the closet?

16 comments:

i i eee said...

KEEP IT. Unless of course Dan wants to make a fair trade, and he tosses his baseball cards as well. Heh.

I'm at work right now, so I can't see the pictures, so I'm not getting the visual -but I say for now, hang it up in the garage.

Lori said...

You have to keep it! I have no idea what I'd do with it in my house either, but you have to keep it!

A little boy in our ward carried around a toy shark for a whole year. Maybe Luke can carry that around?

dishes and laundry said...

No way!!!! You caught a shark!!! You have to keep it - and find a place to hang it. Think of the conversation starter when you have home teachers over.

Maybe Luke will have a nautical themed bedroom in a couple of years. Maybe you could hang it at Valais. The garage is also a good idea. That's where we have a giant Texas flag (from Troy's mission)hanging.

When I first saw the picture, I thought it was a toy. Oh, and I think I have my wedding dress at my Mom's house too.

dishes and laundry said...

Oh, and thanks for the link!!!!

Leah said...

Ok, Chris says that any male college student would love to have that hanging from their ceiling so you could donate to someone...or he also suggested ebay. I think that garage is a good idea too. You would see him, enjoy the memories, but not have to try and fit him into that home decor. But we both agree that you can't get rid of him. Sorry. Oh, and I don't have multiple boxes of mission stuff...just one, I think...

Elise said...

This is Dan....

I vote to not hang it up and to donate it to the goodwill so someone else can enjoy it. I'll even donate my baseball card collection with it.

ash said...

Donate it, I mean what are you really going to do with it? I'm not one to talk though, through all of our moves I've had my box of high school stuff (that never gets unpacked).

i i eee said...

Now that I can see the pictures: keep it! Just think, when your kids are older, and they understand things more, they'll think it's so cool.

I have these foggy memories of finding kept "treasures" that came from my parents' past. :) Good stuff!

Andrew said...

Don't get rid of it. At the very least hang it in the garage, but I would suggest more your computer room or something like that. The bedroom thing is also a good idea.

Lulu said...

You've got to keep it. How many people can say they caught a shark and have the proof? I mean, baseball cards are a dime a dozen, but a stuffed shark is priceless. And it will be a great show and tell for Ava and Luke to take to school.

dishes and laundry said...

I didn't even think about the show and tell possibilities. Trust me, you will have so many show and tell days and this would be perfect! You will be the shark Mom - and that's pretty darn cool.

emilyaaa said...

Reid says you should bundle the shark, the baseball cards and the wedding dress and sell them on ebay. i say keep them all and hang the shark in your garage. you can't get rid of that gem!! that's a GREAT story!! Reid is also suggesting that it could be your Christmas Tree topper (i kinda think he's serious). whatever you do, DON'T get rid of it!

Melissa Wilson said...

You are so funny! I love it! Keep that sucker!

Lara said...

I vote the garage too... it's pretty cool but I would not know where to put it either.

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Well I'm half in and half out on this one. I agree that you should keep it but I don't think you should hang it in the garage, I think you should hang it in the bathroom maybe the guest bathroom. Kind of like a princess and the Pea test. If your guests are too polite to comment you know to mind your manners around them. If They come out looking at you funny and hurry to leave you know they are a little snobby. If they come out laughing and ask you about it they are royalty. Sure love you hope the fish can stay.

dalene said...

I will tell you this right now: If you throw it out you will regret it.

That is one of the best stories I have ever heard. I don't recommend hanging it over the headboard in your master bedroom, but you have got to display it somewhere. What a great conversation starter! "My name is Elise and I once caught a shark."

And don't fall for the baseball card trade either. Baseball cards are not personal, but you caught that shark with your very own hands.