Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley

I will never forget my first experience hearing a prophet in person. Living in the "mission field" I had never had the opportunity to hear a prophet or apostle other than on the big projection screen at the church during General Conference. The benches were hard, I was young, and it was difficult to pay attention.

And while I believed in prophets and apostles, I couldn't help but feel they were somewhat removed from me and my life. He came to Massachusetts some time in my early teenage-hood and I eagerly awaited the chance to have Gordon B. Hinckley visit and talk to us. I sat in that large arena, waiting with thousands of other members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. At ground level, the double doors opened and escorted by a few people, he made his way in. Now, I didn't know what would happen and had never even heard of how a prophet was usually received. All I know was that a spirit so strong, powerful, and peaceful emanated from this man and filled every single inch of the huge arena as well as my entire body. I felt something so deliberate pull me to my feet. The crowd stood in silence as he made his way to his seat. During those moments, I gained a testimony of a living prophet. Where I had before believed, I now knew. God calls prophets on the earth still today and Gordon B. Hinckley was one of them.

I still remember being astonished at the way everyone felt that same push from behind to get to their feet. And at my later visits to the conference center for General Conference, I have been able to experience the same thing.

I will also never forget the time he prayed for the young people of the church, when he prayed for me. The spirit bore witness to me that he loved us and that our Heavenly Father loves us.

President Hinckley has been the prophet of my memory. His words of instruction, love, and encouragement have brought me through childhood to motherhood.



Last night, when I heard he passed away, I didn't feel the sorrow that I always expected to feel. I felt peace and joy and gratitude. He was a man of God who served so lovingly and willingly and he will be missed.

1 comment:

Jensons said...

Well put Elise, I like your perspective.