Little did we know that our computer virus was contagious and now we are fighting colds. Will this stuff ever end? And it's kind of funny, that our little family has had it's share of sickness recently, but somehow I've always managed to stay well, but I encouraged Dan to take it easy, call in sick, etc. Now that I finally caught a cold and feel yucky, I'd like to call in sick myself but am afraid I don't know the number!
I signed Ava up for preschool this weekend. It was my 2nd choice school. It is smaller and older than my first choice but the fact that registration only involved the daylight hours, won my heart. And so did the director. While she's not necessarily my new best friend or even someone I would really identify with, it was her way with Ava that really impressed me. Ava gave her a crusty attitude straight away. And when she does that it's usually best to just back off and leave her alone. But the director kept at it (and I bit my tongue hoping Ava wouldn't be really not nice) but within 45 seconds, the director had her talking and talking and talking and holding hands. I was seriously impressed. Ava also wanted to stay and play. Granted she didn't want me to leave her even for a minute or two, but the rooms and playground were at least attractive to her. And all of the teachers were very nice. It will involve "chapel" and "Jesus stories" and prayers and when I visited they were doing little projects for Lent. For some reason I was a little apprehensive about her being taught to pray by other people, but I really have no explanation as to why. Maybe it wasn't just the religious stuff either. It was weird to realize that for the first time I will not have 100% control over what she is taught or exposed to. Luckily I've got 8 more months to get over it and I better get used to it right?
Luke has been making some progress in the crawling department. He is currently employing the rarely seen "wheelbarrow method". Put your head down and your bottom up and go! Really his legs are working very hard yet he doesn't seem quite strong enough to hold up his torso. But he pushes and pushes with his feet until his bottom half is off the ground and propels himself on his chest with his arms outstretched for whatever has caught his eye. It's kind of funny to watch. I'll put some pictures of it this week I hope.
And tonight, I went to a Stake Youth Fireside. For Youth Conference this year, they are doing a "Trek", 3 days pulling handcarts, etc. The man who wrote a book about these types of Treks came to speak and turns out he was Dan's Stake President growing up. He gave a really good talk and one of his quotes stuck out to me and I'd really like to remember it. He told about taking Elder Ballard and his family on a trek and at a meeting afterward with his own family and all who went on that trek, Elder Ballard made a comment similar to this "When you get to the other side, you will be amazed at how much God has micro-managed your life without interfering with your agency."
I just thought that was so neat. We are where we are for a reason. And where we are and what we do is no accident. I feel like Heavenly Father has His hand in our life but I know that I cannot understand how much.
4 comments:
I feel so bad for you and all of your sickness lately! I really can sympathize now because we are all sick with the flu or something. We've had fevers and well, all that goes with it! I glad Ava got her preschool worked out and that you are set for the fall!
P.S. Tell Tiffany she needs to invite me to her BLOG! :) melissawilson@gmail.com
Oh Melissa! Sorry about your sick stuff too. If Tiffany doesn't see this herself, I'll be sure to tell her!
I remember the same feelings when Brayden started Preschool. I was very nervous. It really was worry over not being in control of and able to approve every thing he was being taught. What happened though was comforting. Some things were the same, like Jesus stories, and some things were different, like how they prayed and holidays they celebrated.Whenever Brayden encountered one of these things he would come home with questions. These questions were great chances to explain what and why we believe the way we do and to let him know how we respect others who believe differently and love them as our friends. I also had definite feelings at the time of our "discussions" that this was the Lord's hand in our life.
now I am not trying to sound preachy I just know that if the Lord could get me through it. You have got it made. I love you. I am ignoring your sick fairy/gremlin hoping but it doesn't seem to have worked yet. Feel better soon.
Wow - preschool! It will be interesting to see what Ava picks up from her church preschool. Probably just some really good basic Jesus stories, be nice, don't tell lies, a little reverence, etc. She can share some good Nephi stories maybe? I'd get a big map so she can see where the stories are taking place and understand that while both Nephi and Noah were commanded to build ships (ark), they weren't on the same one!
Both my boys had a Jewish Kindergarten teacher - they would sing the dreidel song and know all kinds of stuff about the Jewish faith.
I considered giving up going to Walmart for Lent. It lasted 3 hours.
Post a Comment