Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fruit Basket Turnover and the Sick Circus

Yesterday we bid farewell to an old friend. Actually Dan bid farewell while I was was paying homage to the porcelain god.

We sold our truck! The dear truck I decorated on our first Valentine's together back in '01. The same truck that leaked air conditioning water on Dan's sister's leg all the way from Utah to Texas. Oh it was a sad goodbye!




And believe it or not, but we made another midnight deal on a 1996 Corolla last week. So in 2 weeks we have 2 totally different cars. And we owe it mostly to Craigslist.

She's not much to look at, but she has ice cold AC and a backseat. We have low expectations. She even has less miles than our old Corolla.

My only complaint is the paint.



It's not so bad from the front, but if you take a closer look, it's not pretty.



So far, so good. Dan is really enjoying not being soaked with sweat when he gets home from work.

As I mentioned above, I've been sick. So has Ava. Luke, too. It mostly started on Friday with some up-chucking and down-chucking, if you catch my drift.

The big problem was that Ava and I had a Mommy/Daughter date to the circus on Saturday that we'd been looking forward to for weeks. I love the circus! Dan doesn't really. So I have to take these opportunities to go whenever I can. I was pretty sure Ava would love the circus.

I figured we would at least try. We wouldn't touch anything or talk to anybody. If we could just make it to our seats, we could sit there and enjoy it. So off we went with Pepto in our tummies and a prayer in our hearts that there would be no pooped pants or throw-up involved.

I totally forgot that we'd have to walk a 1/2 mile from the parking lot to the stadium. Luckily I did remember the stroller, so that really helped.

We made it to our seats, and I bought Ava the popcorn I promised her, but she couldn't really eat it.

She sat riveted for the first little bit, just taking in all the acrobats and animals. But soon, the misery began to outweigh the pleasure and she said, "Mommy, I just want to get in my bed." and I wanted to say, "Me, too" but I didn't.





After a valiant effort, we left after an hour. I really don't know how we made it back to the car. But we did. And Ava slept the whole way home.


And, little Ava, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm so sorry I took you to the circus.

9 comments:

i i eee said...

I totally forgot how the truck dripped water on me all the way to Texas.

All my memories of that truck are good ones. Of course, I didn't have to ride in it all the time. :)

Jensons said...

Don't you always get sick in the most convenient times like when you have an airplane ticket to New York or something, and when you are just sitting at home your as healty as a horse? I would have tried to go as well, at least you saw an hour.

emilyaaa said...

Dan--I can't believe you sold the Night Ranger. Wow! I didn't think that would ever happen. I'm going to listen to Forever All Over Again in memory of your truck.

Leah said...

Ava looks so big in that picture! And at least she slept on the way home instead of weeping in misery.
All these new cars are making me want too!

KCK said...

So...what kind of death did the truck die?

Don't feel too bad about the paint job on the new car. I'll have to post pictures of our '88 Cavalier--you'll feel much better.

So sorry you guys were sick--that's just miserable. Very valiant attempt at the circus, though!

abbott said...

sorry you were sick! Ice cold air is the best. I can't imagine being in Texas w/o it! Enjoy the new cars. How about you take one of them for a nice long test drive.... say COlorado?????

Kellie said...

Aww, I'm sorry. We took Logan to the circus on Thursday, but he was only kind of feelin' it. I don't think we were sitting close enough for him to really get wrapped up in it. Here's to trying again another time for all of us! I hope everyone gets feeling better soon!

Leslie said...

I'm sure you remember the circus fiasco story in our family----We scraped up the funds to go---everyone was excited---the sights were magnificent, the music exhilerating---and the children were miserable because they couldn't buy the toy animals on a stick. The crying drowned out the music and the tears obliterated the magnificent sights--a couple of kids fell asleep on the nasty floor--parents were mad--I'm not sure if we ever went back--did any of you kids see a circus you enjoyed?

dishes and laundry said...

So long to the truck. No air conditioning has always been the deal breaker for me. I don't care what my car looks like, as long as it has some arctic air blowing on me.

Sorry about the circus and everyone being so sick. No fun at all. The picture of Ava does make her look very big.