Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My eggo is preggo

The young women I work with at church love to quote movie lines from Juno at me. Especially that one.

I went to Girl's Camp a few weeks ago. I love going to Girl's Camp. Being pregnant wasn't going to stop me, but somehow, like a teenagers game of "telephone" my months of gestation got blown out of proportion with every retelling, until finally the morning of the day I planned to drive up I received a call from the Stake Young Women's president. She let me know that they were not feeling very good about having an 8+ months pregnant lady at camp. And even more importantly, they did not want to have any babies at camp. I calmly explained that while I was 6+ months pregnant, I was not 8 and, if they could believe it, I did not want to have a baby at camp even more than they did and further more if I thought that was even a possibility I wouldn't be coming.

I also explained that they really didn't need to worry about me. I didn't plan to be a burden or need any attention because of my situation. Then she explained that I would have to sleep in the infirmary. I was willing, mostly due to the fact it was air conditioned, to oblige just because I thought if I didn't then they wouldn't let me come.

Camp was really fun, though I sure missed out on my favorite part which is canoeing with the girls. Don't you know pregnant people can't canoe?

Anyways, I really was glad to be able to go. Things went well and there was hardly any drama. Unfortunately I do not have one single picture to document the fun.

I do have documentation of my pregnancy, though the last way I would describe it would be fun. I finally got a picture of myself to compare to the first 2 times.

Here I am, this past weekend at about 30 weeks (7.5 months)



And here I am at about 6 months pregnant with Luke:



And here I am at 7 months with Ava:



This was what my mom referred to as the python stage, meaning I looked like a snake that had just eaten it's dinner. And I guess this series of photos just supports the theory that you get bigger quicker with each subsequent baby.

I am not ignorant of the fact that growing a baby is truly a miracle, however pregnancy and me do not get along very well. I am not one who "glows". In fact, when I am pregnant I wake up every morning feeling dumber, meaner, uglier, and fatter than I did the day before. Really I feel like the worst version of myself. Maybe it's because all of my desirable resources are shunted to making the baby.

Dan said a few weeks ago, "You being pregnant brings out the worst in us." And I concede. I don't enjoy labor but I would do that 5 times over if I could skip the pregnancy part.

This time around, I am really craving ice. And anything sweet and not good for me.

This baby moves around alot. And I think it's to remind me that he's actually in there. Because while the exhaustion I feel should be a constant reminder, it's sad how how little time is dedicated to thinking of him and his arrival. It's still not real that he's coming. Maybe, because when I am in the throes of chaos and freak outs with Ava and Luke, and the fear of adding another human to the mix starts to creep into my mind, I quickly kick it out with my big boot of denial, to stop myself from collapsing and/or running out the front door.

So that's where I'm at right now.

We are really, really at a standstill with names. Luke was either going to be Luke or Max (Maxwell, after my dad). Obviously we went with Luke. Now this little guy only has one name on his list-Max, which we both still like. Dan isn't liking any of my suggestions, claiming they are too feminine. So Max is what we are tenatively planning. I just like to have some choices lined up going to the hospital.

And I don't know how effective this will be, because it's not likely anyone will suggest a name they really love if they are still in the baby making stage, cause they won't want me to steal it, but I would love to hear any name suggestions, from those of you who are willing to share. And also, any good middle name for Maxwell.

Ava leaned over to Dan during Sacrament last Sunday and said, "Dad, I can't wait for Grandpa Max to come out of Mommy's tummy!"

And of course he said with a chuckle, "Me, too!"

15 comments:

Karen Scott Welker said...

I did the canoe thing for you at camp. One word- gross. As for baby names, Lucy would have been Max if she was a boy. As far as I'm concerned, I'm out of the baby making business. So you can have Max if you'd like.

Elise said...

Thanks, Karen! And I'm sad you thought canoeing was gross. Water shoes are a must!!

Castaneda 5 said...

Max is a cute name! Well, I too am out of the baby making business. My names are not very popular but we liked them to go with our last name. Not sure how well they will go with Colton! We had 3 other names for boys... Isaac, Jaime (pronounced Hime) and Joaquin. Probably lucky that we didn't have another boy, huh? I know what you're thinking! haha

Val said...

I think you look hot and if I were there I'd take you on a date.

You already know I like Max. But if you really want something different you could always use Bartholomew, Hopper, Stands with a Fist, Herman, Buckie or Dank. Just a few of my faves! :) Email me if you want even more suggestions. I am full of it, er, um, I mean more.

Mommy B said...

I don't get the name stealing thing, but I'm married to a Michael Johnson and there are lots of those around... Our boy name is Christopher Michael. Steal away!

I think Maxwell is super cute. How about James for a middle name?

Tara Black said...

I love the name Max! Todd would be a cute middle name to go with Max. :) Adam and I really like last names for boys we have a Cooper and our next boy will be McCoy. If you like either one of those, you feel free to use them. :) Also, I think you look beautiful pregnant. :)

Elise said...

Michelle-I like all of those names! I really think it's too bad you didn't have another boy! They all go well with your latin flare. But i think we're too vanilla to pull off Joaquin.

Val-Dank? Really, where do you come up with this stuff?!

Beth-Maxwell James does sound nice! I'll have to keep running that through my head!

And Tara- you are too sweet! I love Cooper's name! Black is such a good last name too, it seems like it "goes" with everything.

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Paul and I also liked last names. We thought we might use Abbott but never did. We have a James and a Maxwell so you know I think those are both great. Remember Bucky from Kansas? He goes by Buck now so I guess he will never use his real name of Edwin. Names are such tricky things. Marin said she wanted to switch to Anne but could never remember we were talking to her when we called her that so she is back to Marin, good luck.

Leah said...

Max is on my list so feel free to find others:) But for the sake of sisterhood and tia-hood, I will tell you that we seemed to like the one syllable middle names with Maxwell-like James and Todd-so maybe you can turn your thoughts down that road. Good luck-I think naming is one of the hardest parts of parenting!

Leah said...

Max is on my list so feel free to find others:) But for the sake of sisterhood and tia-hood, I will tell you that we seemed to like the one syllable middle names with Maxwell-like James and Todd-so maybe you can turn your thoughts down that road. Good luck-I think naming is one of the hardest parts of parenting!

dishes and laundry said...

We seem to have a lot of presidential names around here: Lincoln, Nixon(!), Reagan, Jefferson, etc.

I have two kids in a reading group that I call over every day. The girl is Whitney and the boy is...Houston. You just know that I call out "Whitney Houston, come to reading group!" - I wonder when it will get old. So far, not yet.

Kudos to Dan for saying "us" and not "you".

KCK said...

Love the name Max! Nathan, Alex and Landon are also on my list of favorites--just never got another boy to use any of them on.

I read that craving ice is a sign of iron-deficient anemia. So...dig into an iron-rich juicy steak!

KCK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lara said...

I concur with MUCH of what you said about being pregnant right now and I am in the sad same boat with being so much bigger with this one than I was with the last ones. (sniff sniff). You look great though, and Max is a very cute name. I think boy names are the hardest. I think as long as it's a classic and not too weird, the baby will make the name no matter what it is.

Don and Robin Cooper said...

You look BEAUTIFUL even if you don't feel it! You and Leah both can have a Max or Maxwell Todd! What a nice tribute for you two to name your son(s) after your dad-he's a great man!