Saturday, May 22, 2010

Party Doll


Dan has run out to buy Ava's birthday presents. We are really cutting it close!

I wanted to take her five year old pictures today but that didn't happen. Instead we (meaning Dan) worked on the yard and then we (meaning us) went swimming at the pool. The day was rounded out by a mommy/daughter trip to the library and the grocery store. Pretty good day.

Yesterday was our first "throwing a birthday party" experience. I would have to say it was successful, but at the same time I am not sure this will be an annual event. Yeah, her birthday comes annually, I know, but a party for friends doesn't have to. I honestly think that she would enjoy her usual family birthday dinner as much or more than a hoopla party.

In my head I wanted things to be simple. No theme. Just good old fashioned party games and some food. And if I had given myself more than 5 days to accomplish it all, it could have been nearly painless. Instead I was emailing out invitations in my procrastinator way and trying to squeeze donkey drawing, pinata making, and bean bag sewing into 45 minute increments throughout the week. And somehow, my usually uneventful life became all jammed up with other things I was actually supposed to accomplish/attend/participate in.

But, we made it. I think Ava might agree that our favorite part of the whole deal was working on our stuff together in preparation for the actual party.

We made a donkey and some tails for Pin the Tail On the Donkey.





We paper mached a pinata,


which was just going to be a painted ball until Ava so cleverly suggested we turn it into a strawberry.


The party day came and so did Ava's friends. She invited kids from her preschool class and we ended up with 3 girls and 3 boys. I think this might also be the last year for boy/girl parties.

There was quite a bit more wrestling, underwear/poopoo talk than I anticipated.

I made a rice crispy treat cake that I thought turned out pretty well and even had a surprise chocolate marshmallow frosting between the layers.


Ava later confessed that she did not like the chocolate layer and politely insisted that I cut it out of her pieces if she was going to eat it.

I think everybody had a pretty good time.


And my many thanks go to my friend Jill who came to help me out.



Everybody needs someone to come up with the perfect and speedy solution to fix an ailing pinata seconds before it was due onstage, someone who willingly throws herself into a game of red light/green light when things get crazy, and someone to generally hold your hand through your maiden party throwing adventure. Everybody needs someone like her!

5 comments:

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Happy b-day Ava! you are indeed a doll!

Val said...

That first pic is so perfect. I love the soft natural light and the absolute joy in Ava's face.

Lori said...

You are so brave! Throwing a little kid party is a phobia of mine. Maybe one year my kids will get one. Looks like you had a great time!

Leah said...

It can be quite the nerve-wracking event, huh? Having a couple under my belt doesn't seem to make it any easier!!
Happy Birthday, Ava! I can't think of anyone I would rather share a birthday with than you!

Jill said...

The party was a hit. You didn't look like you were new at it at all. I was so glad that I got to help and see genius at work. Happy birthday Ava!