Probably, huh. If not, I'd likely be receiving a lot more mail. And I do like to get mail, just not that kind.
I just spent three hours at the pediatrician's office. And that was our third visit in the past week and a half. Not including one really lame trip to the Urgent Care.
The same Urgent Care that I would like to send some disagreeable mail.
Over the past week, Luke had an ear infection and Ava had some poop problems. If that was too much information, sorry. This is a mommy blog.
Last Friday I was convinced that Max had an ear infection. I've come to recognize his signs pretty well and knowing that this week holds an airplane trip I was anxious to get the antibiotic show on the road if, in fact, he did have an ear infection. And having sat at the pedi's office enough for one week, I opted for the Urgent Care, knowing the diagnosis would be simple and short.
Unfortunately, I left the office with no diagnosis and feeling very patronized. The nurse practictioner clearly thought I was an overly anxious mom (Oh but I am!), told me he was fine and that sick babies did not smile. He told me that because Max had smiled at him when he walked into the exam room, he knew he wasn't sick.
"What your child is doing is called a social smile."
"He doesn't know me but he has learned to smile and that is what babies do."
"Sick babies do not smile socially, therefore we can know that this baby is not sick."
I wanted to tell him that I was The Mama. I wanted to tell him that I have had children smile at me on numerous occasions when they were sick, especially this one. I wanted to tell him that I knew something was wrong. But when he looked in both ears and pronounced them fine, symbolically patting me on the head, I could not argue. He looked in his ears after all, and if they were fine, they were fine.
But over the weekend Max developed a bad cough. And by last night he was audibly wheezing. And it felt a little like de ja vu. I knew I had to take him to the real doctor especially before our trip.
It was the craziest, busiest I have ever seen the pediatrician's office. More than once I questioned our being there, especially with all three hooligans. Thank goodness Dan came to take them for a while.
He got them strapped into the van only to discover that it would not start.
He took the kids to Sonic in his car, where they ate and waited for AAA. After a little testing and installing one new battery, the van was ready to go just as Max and I were finishing the marathon appointment.
Inside I had learned that yes, indeed, Max was wheezing. He'll be the lucky recipient of some breathing treatments. It was good I brought him in, she told me.
She wanted to look in his ears. I hadn't mentioned anything about the urgent care or his ears. I had been told they were fine, after all.
But she attempted to look in his ears and found there was too much wax to get a good view so she got our her little digger tool and went to work. Once it was clear, she could easily see that his ears were badly infected.
And that is why I want to write a letter.
Deciding before examining, that a smiling baby couldn't possibly be sick and that a young mother couldn't know what she's talking about is stupid. It's as if he already made up his mind, thought I was silly, and only looked in Max's ears to satisfy me. It didn't matter if he didn't have a clear view because he already knew Max wasn't sick.
And if that's all it takes to be a nurse practitioner, sign me up!
So from now on, I will continue to pack my bag and stroller like a day trip for the zoo and endure our marathon appointments. Or maybe I could just buy my own otoscope and set up shop.
I bet I'd even get less hate mail than that guy.
12 comments:
He actually patted you on the head?! Ohhh, I would've been FUMING! In all seriousness, though, you really should write them a letter. Can you imagine if you'd gone in with meningitis symptoms? (Oh, he's just slept on his neck weird - that's why it's stiff.) That guy sounds like a malpractice suit waiting to happen.
Write the letter. You'll be helping other smiling sick kids in the future. Makes me a little furious myself, and I wasn't there.
I know exactly who you are talking about I hate that guy, whenever I go in there, he always give me the, wow, you have your hands full look!! And then once when Regan was little, I got the speech, just because your baby pulls on her ears doesn't mean they are infected. Of course they were infected, I hate doctors!!
i love reading your posts, you know that? seriously, everything you write makes me feel like screaming, "amen, sister!"
And, btw, i own an otoscope. i've used it many times. it cost me $25 on amazon, and it was the best purchase of my life.
Love our pediatrician, hate the wait. Hate nurse practioners, love my brother-in-law who is one despite his being one. He is lucky you didn't whack his hand off your head...what an idiot. So sorry this all happened, but glad you got it taken care of. Hope your trip is a great one! Mammas do know what is best!
I just kept having flash backs to the OB telling me that I didn't sound "to bad off" and to wait till I was "really miserable" to come to the hospital! When was it decided that the only people who know anything about our bodies or babies was the doctor? I still vote Dr. Mom every time!! Poor Max-I hope he feels better before you travel!!
Write the letter. You might need to make a few calls to see who needs to receive the letter in addition to this sorry excuse for a doctor. You have every right to be furious and demand not only an apology, but that steps are taken to ensure that no other mother is subjected to that type of patronizing attitude from a health care professional.
This isn't just like telling someone off at church because you imagine that it will make you feel better and then it really doesn't. Your baby was quite sick and yet the first item on his agenda was to make you feel like a silly Mom instead of truly finding out if something was wrong. You have proof from the subsequent dr. visit that with a little digging and removal of wax, the infection was not just in your imagination.
Do you know how many times I have had to stop myself from calling this guy a name that just wouldn't be appropriate on your family blog? Saying it out loud does feel kind of good, though, because it's true. Try it when the kids are out of earshot.
Anyway, he's not just a grocery store checker that bruised your peaches or a neighbor that had a party and played their music too loud that one time. He needs to be made aware. You don't have to be all psychomom on him ('cause then he writes you off as the crazy one), but a well worded letter or rehearsed speech that is professional and detailed with just a hint of venom ought to do the trick. You will have to be very direct in what you want, ending with an "I would like an apology for the reprehensible way that you treated me and for your flagrant disregard for the health of my child."
Or something like that. Also, maybe you'll get your co-pay refunded.
Glad Max will be on the mend. See you tomorrow!!!!
Also, what are poor Ava's issues? Auntie Wendy can probably relate.
For me it is the fever thing. Your child couldn't possibly have an ear infection or strep throat, they don't even have a small fever. It just burns my biscuits that they would not take me seriously. Any person in their right mind would never bring five or more children into a Dr. office unless they were sure they needed to be there. In fact I skip it if I possibly can. The only reason I go is to get the stupid medicine. I have to say it is the one thing that I wish I lived in Mexico for. Love the good Dr.s though just wish they didn't have to carry so much of the burden due to others poor performance. Good luck on your trip. Ring if there is a free moment.
I just have to clear up the fact that the nurse practitioner did not pat my head. If he had, I think I might have decked him. I was trying to say that his announcement that "his ears are fine!" felt like a pat on the head. Maybe I should have said, metaphorically instead of symbolically. Doesn't change the fact that he's a loser, but I didn't mean to mislead you either.
Write the letter, send it; if you don't hear from someone within a week, make the phone call.
He didn't even really see the ear drums and told you the baby was fine?!!!!!!!! I think Paul would have had a hard time keeping me from going from the peds office back to the urgent care to give him a piece of my mind--and a fat lip if I could get away with it!
Here's some info: many times there is no pain associated with an ear infection--thus the baby will continue to smile even as the pus drains from his ears!
I am very anti urgent care and anti emergency room (except in cases demanding life-saving measures) because our family doctor knows us and we get better results.
I'm glad Max is on the mend. We're excited to see you all this weekend!
So sorry, I don't know why people insist they know what's going on, when obviously we mom's know when something is wrong with our kids.
Post a Comment