I set up Luke's new bed two days ago. At first he was a little confused about who was actually going to sleep in it. I finished putting it together just in time for his nap and I asked him if he wanted to sleep in it.
"Yes!"
But when it came right down to it, he pointed to the bed saying, "Dis Ava's bed" and "Where's Ava?" I think he was really hoping that he and Ava would share a room. I clarified that it was his bed and then he started pointing to his crib and asking "Dis Ava's bed?"
I told him soon that could be Max's bed. "Where's Max?", he wondered.
Max was asleep in his actual bed and probably won't be making the move over to Luke's room for a few more weeks. But after our game of 20 questions was finished, he settled into his new little bed for a good nap.
That night, about 30 minutes before his usual bedtime he started asking to go to sleep. He was really excited about his new bed. We compromised and put him down about 15 minutes early at about 7:15 pm.
What a smooth transition this bed switching ordeal was turning out to be! And at about 8:30 pm we heard him calling,
"Want to wake up now! Want to wake up now!" Dan held him for a few minutes and Luke explained, "I'm scary!" (I'm scared) But he went back down without a fuss and has been sleeping happily in it for the past 2 days.
He has also peed in the potty on his own accord one more time.
Lot's of growing up happening right now. But with the 23rd quickly approaching one thing remains on my mind.
Kindergarten.
I think I am more nervous than she is. Only because she has no idea what to expect. I have been gearing up for this terrible, awful, ugly monster. I have been getting ready for her to hate it and cry to never have to go. Then it hit me yesterday. Maybe it won't be awful. Maybe she won't hate it. Maybe it might even be good.
I'm not sure if I am a dramatic pessimist or if I'm more of a prepare for the worst, hope for the best kind of girl.
All I know is that I better leave room for the notion that this could be good. Or an actual good experience will be hard pressed to happen because my bad attitude would not be in the position to enjoy it.
But please, all of you who have sent off your baby to kindergarten and lived to tell about it, do me a favor, will ya? Will you just pat my cheek and tell me that everything is gonna be okay?
6 comments:
I can never figure out how people get their 3 and 4 year olds to take naps...what is the secret? He looks great in his bed! What an amazing boy he is! It was tough to send my older three to kindergarten, but the first was the hardest. She is going to love it...
Luke looks at home in his new bed - hooray for smooth transitions.
I was working down in kindergarten on the first day of school - they started a week later than everyone else. I was there to help out the teachers if they had any criers or runners, but remarkably, there weren't any! I didn't even see any crying parents, although one Mom stayed a good hour and just watched from the back of the room. Her daughter didn't need her - this was just the Mom wanting to see. Mom didn't seem anxious or worried or sad, just smiling and proud - couldn't tear herself away.
I think she will love it, too!
You will probably have some tears in your eyes as she walks in the door to school and she may be a little scared, but when she comes running out the door telling you it was the "best day ever" it's totally worth it. And it gets a little easier each day.
Braeden is starting Kindergarten this year too, I thought it wouldn't be so bad since he did preschool last year, but something about moving up to kindergarten has me more nervous than him I think.
okay, i have two things to tell you. completely unrelated. Did you know that reid came home from his trip to your place and told Grace all aobut Ava? and now Grace talks about her "friend that lives far away, in texas, but that's not as far away as cousin ella, she lives in Baltimore." And she occasionally asks to see pictures of "my friend who lives in texas...what's her name again?" I love it.
Secondly--seriously, how DO you get your kids to take naps past 2.5 years of age??????
i've got nothing to say about kindergarten that you haven't already read. But I can't wait to hear how things go for you and Ava!!!
Hey Elise,
I was so excited to see your comment on my blog. I will send you an invite just as soon as I can get my act together and get it done! We are having a little girl in about 6 weeks and we are naming her Ava! I didn't realize you had an Ava. What a cute name! Your kiddos are so cute. It's amazing how time flies. Hey, do you have Kalissa's email I would love to see her blog too.
Post a Comment