Thursday, December 2, 2010

All I need

When we moved, everything just happened so fast. Logistically things went smoothly, but it was a whirlwind. It was stressful. It was scary. Yet through the process there was always the underlying sense that we were doing just what we were supposed to.

I have to be honest and say that there was a part of me that wondered when the other shoe would drop. Was this Heavenly Father's way of setting things up for something bad to happen? And granted, if it was, I should be grateful for that, but I also felt like declining the offer if it meant that some tragedy was going to befall the family. Because family tragedies are not my friend.

I know my mom felt the same way. Our respective families had been praying to be near each other for years. I have always appreciated being close but yearned to be closer. Then out of the total blue, we had a job offer for a terrific job, more money, more vacation, bigger house, more money in savings, same house payment. So what's the catch? I just couldn't help thinking it.

But we got here. We are happy. My mom is my only friend, but that's okay. We eat together on Sunday nights, Mom comes to sit with my napping boys each afternoon so I can pick Ava up from school, we shop together, Dad and Dan watch football games together.

One night I walked my mom out to the car as she was leaving. As I jogged back up the sidewalk in front of our house, which was lit up from the inside, my foot hit the cement and as it did so, it was like time stopped for a moment. I felt a surge of spirit and I knew with perfect clarity that at that moment I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I knew that no matter the circumstances that may follow in the future, whether good or bad, I am currently the right person, in the right place, at the right time. It was approval and reassurance and peace all at the same time.

And then recently, I had one of those instances that reminded me just how quickly life could change. One of those instances when I can't decide whether it's good or bad. Good because it can remind you just how precious your life is and how much you have to appreciate, and bad because it usually involves hurting.

Amidst the hurt, I was mentally brought back in my mind, to my foot in the corner of the sidewalk. To the home with the lights on, filled with everything that is precious to me. To the feelings that filled my heart that night. And I felt that approval, reassurance, and peace all over again.




And that is all I need to know.

3 comments:

Melissa Wilson said...

I hope everything is ok and that you know you can count on me for anything. If you ever need to talk, just call me. I love your honest and genuine posts :)

Bebe McGooch said...

We hope everything is okay too.

emilyaaa said...

I, too, love your genuine posts. You are a good, good person and make me want to be a little better.
I hope your hurting is accompanied with peace, as it often seems to be for me. I guess that's one of God's little mercies.

love to you all.