I totally fudged some of the applications to be a mom. Somewhere in there I know it asked whether you had the ability to lie to your children. You know, for the purposes of teeth collecting, Easter basket leaving, and present giving. But lying has never been my forte. Not that I can't see the occasional benefits of a fib or two, I just have a really hard time doing it successfully. Mix that with feeling like my kids should always be able to trust what I tell them is the truth, and we have one conflicted mother who really does want to her kids to be swept up in the fun and magic of childhood yet doesn't want them feeling like they were lied to down the road.
So where does that leave poor Santa Claus?
Am I the only mother who doesn't really enjoy perpetuating her children's belief in things that don't exist? Sure, I'll do it, cause it's fun and magical and you're only a kid once, right? And it's in my job description. But I kind of just scrape by. I don't go the extra mile or anything. We haven't made reindeer food. The Tooth Fairy needs a reminder app and I eat Santa's cookies grudgingly (ok, not really on that last part).
So what about this Elf on the Shelf character?
Have you heard of him? He sits on the shelf taking notes and reports to Santa each night. And when he flies back in the early morning from the North Pole he sits in a new spot just to make sure the kids know that he's doing his job. Sometimes he does crazy stuff, like dump out your oatmeal or unroll all the toilet paper.
As you might have guessed I have not rushed out to buy this extra, non-essential, Christmas accessory.
Ava, however, swimming blissfully in Childhood Magic, caught the Hallmark Channel's animated version of the Elf on Shelf this past week. And then, by her own device and design, came up with this:
Chipee, the Elf on Our Shelf
She wondered if maybe he might be magic, too.
"I don't know," I told her.
She went to bed. I cleaned up. The next morning she ran down and saw that Chipee had moved to the other end of the counter! And then she wanted to know, "Did you move him, Mom?"
And there I stood at the crossroads.
Tell the truth or indulge my baby doll?
I thought about the previous night. I had absolutely no recollection of moving him, but must have when I wiped down the counters.
So I did my best, and probably what most moms would have done (though surely minus some of the fanfare) and told her,
"I don't know how Chipee got over there!"
Dan came home from a business trip last night. I showed him Chipee. I told him my hesitations and concerns, he patted my back and moved Chipee into the family room. This morning when I woke Ava for school I was kind of excited. I told her, "Get dressed, let's go look for Chipee! He's not on the counter anymore!"
Her groggy face lit up like a thousand stars and she jumped right up.
We found him on the family room shelf.
"I think he is magic, Mom! He must have gone back to Santa last night! You didn't move him, did you, Mom?"
And without a second thought I said, "I didn't touch him."
And it wasn't even a lie.

7 comments:
Oh, Elise. For about the bagillionth time, I'm reading your blog thinking "was she part of that conversation I just had? How does she think the EXACT same things that I do?" It's insane, it really is. I was JUST talking about this VERY elf-on-the-shelf and the whole lying-to-my-kids-makes-me-feel-uncomfortable thing over Thanksgiving weekend. In fact, I'm going to email this post's link to the very family members that were part of that conversation and see if they're as shocked by the exact same word-usage as I am!! seriously!!
Unlike you, my first born does NOT believe in magic(which is fine, since Santa isn't magic, apparently), and an Elf-on-the-shelf would probably never fly with her, so it's not even really an option. But i must admit that my friends whose kids are "behaving better than ever" have ALMOST convinced me to give the Elf a shot. Is Ava being an absolute angel because she's being watched?
I kinda thought about putting up a photo of Jesus and telling the girls how "He's watching what you do and He's reporting back to Heavenly Father, so be good or else..." to see if it gets the same results.
And then I got to thinking that I, too, could really use a "better watch out" photo of Jesus.
Or an Elf.
Or both.
:)
With this being Charlie's second Christmas, but the first where he's actually aware of his surroundings, I've been thinking about how we're going to approach the whole Santa thing as a family.
On Nate's side, one sister decided not to have Santa Claus be a part of their Christmas, and it caused a bit of trouble when extended family got together because one seven year old cousin told the other seven year old that Santa wasn't real.
I never felt lied to, after I found out Santa wasn't real. More just disappointed that I was getting too old to believe in it anymore (I was eight). But I was so eager to believe in these kinds of things, that sometimes I wonder if some kids will still believe in Santa, even if their parents tell them he doesn't exist. I think I didn't feel lied to, because if anything, Santa helped stir the imagination.
I love that Ava made her very own Elf on the Shelf. Perhaps instead of worrying about being truthful or not, we should worry about robbing them of make-believe. Sometimes I long for my childhood imagination. It was so easy to get lost in my own world, and it didn't have anything to do with real life. I guess I'm starting to think that every kid will be let down about Santa either immediately, or a little later after they've enjoyed believing in him. Maybe it's good to let them enjoy it while it lasts?
Emily-there is some crazy magic that makes us read each others minds and be long lost friends that have never had the chance to be near each other! And Ava's behavior hasn't changed much because of the elf. She is usually pretty good these days, though I should tell her that Chippy doesn't like bad attitudes, since that's mostly what we struggle with sometimes.
And yes, whenever the kids ask me about being good for Santa I always want to say, "Heavenly Father is way more important than Santa!"
Rachel- I can see how taking Santa out of the holiday could make for some unfortunate conversations between kids. I like Santa. He'll always be a part of our Christmas. These feelings started last year a little bit, and then have become stronger this year. Something about Ava going off to school all day and being out of my hands for so much of the time now. She comes home often and asks for the skinny on all kinds of things. It's started to feel like more of a responsibility to be the person who will always tell her how things really are; that's how she see's me.
Looking back I never felt lied to either. Somewhere around 8 or 9 it just kind of faded away and I never felt that my parents betrayed my trust or anything like that. I guess it's a combination of feeling like I want Ava (and in the future, the other kids) to always trust that I'll tell the truth along with the uncomfortable feeling I have when I get put on the spot and have to straight up lie or write a return note from Chippee, as I just did tonight. It's uncomfortable for me. But I will do it anyway. She has plenty of imagination, that's for sure. I won't squash it, I just have to get over myself and play along!
Please don't make Chippee a watch dog!?!
I have the same mixed feelings about the whole Santa issue! I play along, too, but don't make a big deal about it, either.
I don't feel upset that my parents lied about Santa, it was fun and exciting. But I feel like such a big, fat liar when I talk about how Santa brings them presents and flies around in a sleigh.
Yes, it's magical and all that but my oldest had a lot of questions when I told him the truth about Santa (ie What about the Easter Bunny? and the Tooth Fairy? What else are you not telling me?). Oh boy.
Don't worry about being too big a scrooge. If it was up to me Christmas would be replaced with an other Thanksgiving or 4th of July.
That is it. If you are Scrooge I am the Grinch. I'm too behind in my posting on the blog thing. Reading yours is like reading my own thoughts too. I might just steal part of your blog and copy/paste to mine. That way I can keep it updated:) I feel the same than you about lying. I don't go over the top with thinks and I have told my children that I'm not going to lie if they ask uncomfortables questions. However if they get to uncomfy that is when backs me up. They haven't ask anything about Santa yet which is good. I'm already thinking on the answer I will have to give them when they ask me about Santa's lie. I will tell them that he exsited and he was a good man but pass away a lond time ago. The world decided that sincehe brought so much hope to the little kids we decided to do it for the children to keep up the lie(or something like that)
Post a Comment