Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fourth of July


We're driving to Utah in two days.  At about 18 hours, it's going to be a long ride. Certainly, the longest the kids have ever taken.  

In preparation and fun, I took the older kids on a one way flight to Chicago just before July 4. 


Ava wanted me to take a picture of  her cheesy pizza in the airport.




Unfortunately, that would not be the last time we saw that pizza because it made it's encore appearance that night in the bed we shared. It's not a trip with kids until someone throws up, right?

Luckily, once it was out of her system it seemed she was fine.


When she finished school this year, I asked her if there was anything fun or special that she particularly wanted to do this summer.  Her one request was to see Sophia, her cousin.  This trip was born out of that request.  And lucky for her, she got to spend everyday of our trip with Sophia because after our relaxing day at Ian's house in Chicago and a swim in the pool, she came with us up to Milwaukee to Leah's house.



 Luke sure had fun with Santiago and Noah and Ian as well. 

The height of my laziness is apparent because almost all of these pictures are from my phone.



I did bring my camera.  And I did use it to take pictures of Leah's friends' brand new baby.  But I didn't really take any of us.


Besides the friggin' heat index, the fourth of July in Greendale, Wisconsin was picture perfect.  It is such a cute little village to begin with. (Really, it's called a village!)







Add in the small town parade and the up close fireworks, all without too much of a crowd or hassle, and I'd say it was a just right slice of Americana. 






We also took a trip to the Jelly Belly warehouse for a free tour.












We went to a super fun kids play place for a birthday party.




I loved seeing little Sage and playing games with my sister.




Then on Saturday, we said our goodbyes, and after a day in the car, Ava got brave and started her underwater adventures at the hotel pool (a feat she has previously been way too scared to do).


The kids were in heaven with dinner at Shoney's and we all slept great at the hotel.  The next morning we got an early start and the kids did freakishly well.  They didn't whine, they didn't fight, they didn't even have to stop to go to the bathroom any more often than the car needed gas.

 It gave me great hope for our next drive.  That is, until we made it home and I found this little bubba waiting for us. 






Out with the hope, in with the reality. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Bebe McGooch said...

Your dad looks absolutely thrilled to be on the Jelly Belly tour. Perhaps someone slipped him a vomit bean?

Elise said...

Ha! I hadn't noticed! But you are right, not too happy looking! The other funny thing was that he tricked ME into eating a vomit jelly bean!