Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Day Poo Flies (kind of gross)



Sweety pie Luke started school on Tuesday. He was not excited at all.  At least until he met his teacher and saw his new classroom the week before the first day.  He kept saying he didn't want to go and that he was "too shy" but after that visit, he changed his tune and said he was so excited.

Before I could get him to school on Tuesday morning I experienced a motherly first.  Like any good mom, I realized as the minutes flew by and we needed to be getting in the car, that I had another kid named Max who was still in his pajamas and a very ripe diaper.

We ran over to the corner of the living room where all the changing supplies are, he laid down, I changed his bum, set the diaper onto the wood floor where I would soon retrieve it, wrap it around itself and deposit it in the trash.  But first I had to rip off his jammies and replace them with clothes.  I did.  And I did it fast.  I am such a champ. Before we got up, I grabbed his pajamas from where they fell near the old, stinky, still open diaper. In my rush I must have grabbed just the edge of the diaper in such a way to send its contents into a perfect trajectory above my head.  As soon as my brain computed what it was seeing in the air, I was screaming like a girl, and I continued to do so long after the poo patty, roughly the size of a mushed grapefruit, landed on my thigh.

Max stood in front of me with eyes wide in an effort to assess what was happening. He looked from my face, to my screaming mouth, to my leg.  And finally said, "What is that?!"

I stopped screaming to tell him, "It's your poop! Poop does not belong on my leg.  Poop goes in the potty!"

I try to not to push the whole potty issue with him because he is not only not ambivalent, he is ANTI-potty.  He absolutely refuses any bribes, suggestions, encouragements.  He tells me he's "too busy" to use the potty.  He will not go near the toilet at all.  It's not an issue I want to make a battle, of course, because he's the only one who can control his bowels.

But I'll tell you, when I sat there with crap on my leg, I wondered if I'd made a mistake.

I finished my explanation and Max looked at me again and began one of the biggest belly laughs of his life, "That is sooo funnnyyyyy!! Hahahahaha!"  He laughed all the way to the car.

And then we took Luke to school.

Max wanted in on the picture action





I finally managed to snag one without him.




Luke especially wanted a Mario backpack this year.


I actually love how you can see the edge of Max's face looking up at Luke in this one.


Luke walked into his classroom before I could give him a hug and I fought the urge to chase after him and ask for one. I went to the parent orientation meeting with a lump in my throat and a heart filled with surprise at how sad I was.  I really didn't expect any of it. Another year of preschool seems pretty low key compared with starting kindergarten, I didn't mentally prepare myself at all.

He had a great day.  And has had another great day since then.  I expect a year full of great days.  I'm happy for him.  And I miss him when he's gone.


No comments: