Monday, January 14, 2013

Just Life




Since we've been back from our trip, it seems like I am playing catch up. It took me a while to get all the Christmas decorations put away, but it's done!

I insisted that Dan help me take down the big tree this year considering when I try to lift heavy things I can feel my ab muscles ripping apart.  I think he gained a greater appreciation for me after that experience because I usually do it myself.  

I am nearly 33 weeks along, though this picture is about a week old. 




 Overall, Dan and I agree that this has been my best/easiest (though I would never call it easy) pregnancy.  I am getting anxious and would admittedly love to just call it a wrap, but I am still making it.  I know that wall of "I'm done!" is waiting for me just around the corner, so I am aiming to make the most of what's left before I hit it.

We've been trying out a new system the past week or so.  Saying "new system" sort of implies there was an old system, which would be a lie.  I feel like this idea, came as an answer to my seeking out help for some specific issues with specific kids.



It's not pretty.  I didn't get it off pinterest.  I just made our little chart without too much fanfare, mostly because I didn't want to put a lot of effort into something we'd possibly abandon after a week or two. But so far so good.

Each person has their own pockets where I distribute their day's worth of tickets.  It includes their various chores (usually just one or two per day), their homework and reading assignments (in Luke's case I read to him and he sounds out words as we go along), and their daily allotment of TV/Wii time.  Max has a pocket and tickets, though whether he does them or not varies and I don't really care at this point.  

When I introduced this whole concept to the kids you would have thought I told them we were going to Disney World. They were so excited! After a week, the novelty has worn off some but I think they are really enjoying the structure and the responsibility of it.  I can already see marked improvement in Ava's confidence, and I love that.  And I've also read my scriptures everyday since we've started (that's one of my tickets) and I love the improvement I've felt in my own attitude.

I just have to figure out how to make Luke understand that his wii tickets are optional.  Right now he takes grave responsibility in completing and moving those yellow tickets to the "done" pocket.

We hit the zoo last Saturday and had a great time. Little did we know it would be the last time we'd see the sun for a while.  















Rain kept us inside for a nearly a week, which is a strange occurrence in Texas.

 Luke wore Dan's old hat for hat day at school and exclaimed excitedly as he looked in the mirror,

"I look like a man!"




This Saturday we went to Ft. Worth to the RV show.  It made us look forward to our next camping adventures and we added a pop-up trailer to our wishlist.  

3 comments:

Lori said...

You look amazing for 33 weeks! And your ticket idea is so great. It helps to have helpers around the house!

Lori said...

You look amazing for 33 weeks! And your ticket idea is so great. It helps to have helpers around the house!

Elise said...

Ha! Thanks, Lori! Dan saw that pic of me and informed me that I look way bigger than that now :)