Tuesday, April 2, 2013

So We Have Four Kids Now





With not a lot of action around here, and suffering from sleep deprivation, I haven't had much mind to write.  But I would hate to let these days slip by without noting how they've passed.




Typically, the night is a crap shoot.  One night he'll go 3-4 hours and go right back to sleep after he eats.  The next he may only make it every 2 and fuss the whole time between.  So when morning comes, and I force myself out of bed to get the kids off to school, I usually make my way right back in while Max sits next to me, watching endless episodes of Peppa Pig, and covering Dan's side of the bed with goldfish crumbs or Frosted Flake dust.  And that, generally, takes up our mornings.  I should probably feel guilty about that, but I don't.

And I should probably apologize for taking and posting so many pictures of Finn, but I don't really feel bad about that either.







  He is a good baby.  Like there's even such a thing as a bad baby.  But he doesn't raise his voice very often and just eats and sleeps.  And spits up.  He really spits up a lot.  Maybe it's Mama Amnesia, but I think  he spits up more than any of the other kids did. He's hard to burp, and if I'm lucky enough to get one, 99% of the time it is followed by a fountain of spit up.  And If we're really (un)lucky, he'll shoot it right out of his nose.  He doesn't seem to mind too much. I got some medicine from the doctor, but since he abhors it, and it usually finds its way right back out, I haven't been too keen to give it to him.



He's my first baby, not to love a paci, but the first to love that huge green one from the hospital.




He's got a receding hairline right now, which only adds to his old man/new baby charm.







He is very alert.







 Even from birth he has looked with eyes wide open and seems to be taking everything in.  He smiles a lot, and yes, we can attribute much of that to gas.  But there are times, when he is staring deep into our faces, or when I sing or talk to him, that he is unmistakably smiling at us.



  I love it.

He is getting bigger and I can't believe that today is 4 weeks since he was born.  I can already tell that this whole gig is going to go by way faster than I want.  Although I'm sure there will be days when Dan is dragging me over to the computer making me re-read that last sentence.  Anyways, I am in love with that baby.

Max is the trooper of troopers.




He can keep himself busy for quite a while with "his guys", pretending, and shooting, and flying.



I'm sure I'm sucking years off of his life with all the TV watching.  He has been only slightly more of a pill than usual.  But the thing I am noticing most is his tendency to check his status with me, reassuring himself of his spot in the family.





Max: I want you to love me.
Me:  Oh, you're in luck, I really, really do!
Max:  Good, cause you're my boy!

OR

Max:  You're my baby.
Me: You're my baby.
Max: Yeah, you're my baby and Dad's my baby.  You're both my babies.

OR

Max: You love all me.
Me: Yep, I love your hair, I love your eyes, I love your tummy, I love all of you!
Max: I love all you, too.

And my personal favorite:

With a hand on each cheek and his nose pressed to mine, "I'm so glad you love me!"

Luke seems to be the one lost in the middle these days.  It's like I can see it, yet I don't feel like I have the capacity to address it.  I am trying to find more opportunities for some one on one interaction but it alludes me.







If I had to guess, I would say that at least half of his brain function must be in numbers.  He astounds me with the way he thinks about numbers.  We all know he didn't get that from me, and I certainly didn't teach him.  But while he cannot correctly voice an equation, he can usually tell you the answer.

Two weeks ago he asked, "Mom, what's plus 99 plus 99?"

I usually say 'I don't know' because I want him to tell me or sometimes, I really don't.  "I don't know, Luke, what is it?"

"198.  Mom, what's plus 50 plus 60?"

"I don't know, Luke, what is it?

"110"



Or the other day we were talking about money.  He wanted to know how much a dime was worth and I told him 10 cents and then he asked about a nickel.  He went on to explain that if he had two nickels it would be the same as one dime.  And then 3 nickels would be 15 cents.  And 4 nickels would be 20 cents.

Lately he has been on a Lego and puzzle kick.

He builds at least one lego a day.



They use hundreds of pieces and have 40+ steps of  "constructions" but the only thing he needs help with is taking them apart.



Dan got him this space puzzle which he also does frequently.



And he doesn't need help with it either but he loves an audience.


Ava is a little put off by Luke's math skills, because that is not her area of proficiency.  Her reading has really taken off though and she is a lover of books! Math, not so much.  I picked up some children's condensed versions of some classics at the Target dollar spot a year or two ago.  She has finally gotten to the point of reading them.





My parents brought Anne of Green Gables home from a trip for her a few months ago, and that's what started it.  I love that she loves that book.  She has read it at least 3 times.  From there she has moved on to Heidi, White Fang, The Secret Garden, and Little Women, among others.  She loves to read!





She also started in a dance class with some of her friends.  We had a lot of hesitation about that because the class is an intermediate one and her friends have been dancing for nearly two years.  Aside from a once a week camp for a month in the summer when she was 3 and 4, she has not danced at all.  This has been a real challenge but we are so proud of her for her effort and not giving up.  And she has found some satisfaction in her practice and feeling the improvement.



She is such a good sister.  She loves Finn.  And she loves her other brothers too.  She has recently taken it upon herself to always try to help Luke or Max stop crying (which kind of happens a lot). She knows just how to turn the wah wah's into the ha ha's.







Dan's still the man.


Work is as stressful as it's been since we've moved here and it stinks that it has overlapped with Finn's arrival.  But no matter, he comes home and changes clothes, and jumps right into lightsabbering and being the zombie.



Things don't look like they're slowing down anytime soon, but for now we are enjoying the ride.

6 comments:

Leah said...

I love you guys and I think Ava should try Witch of Blackbird Pond:)

Bebe McGooch said...

I love all of these pictures, every one.

There's a season for everything, and when you have a newborn there's no better time for some Peppa Pig.

Luke is such a math whiz, and I love that Ava is all about reading now.

xoxox

Bebe McGooch said...

Also, I'm impressed with what blogging you've done! I feel like I need to blog about John, but I also feel like my current blog just isn't the place to document family stuff anymore, since it's more like my whiney blog place. I'm too obsessed with compartmentalizing my life.

You're a great mama!

Elise said...

I'll look into The Witch of Blackbird pond, Leah.

And I would love it if you found a new space for family writing cause I still check your blog everyday, Rachel!

Tara Black said...

I don't think you post enough pictures of Finn. Seriously. He's stinking cute as are all of your children. :)

The Katy Daileys said...

Oh, my! Adam watched a ton of TV when Abigail was born and Abigail watched a ton of TV when Madelyn was born! How did our mothers do it with more kids, closer together, and no TV? Ahhh...quite amazing! What a scrumptious baby and darling kids! Thanks for blogging when I know you would rather be sleeping. I love seeing how it's all going. You are such a good Momma....