Monday, January 6, 2014

Christmas 2013 and Everything Else (which is kind of a lot)



The last time I neglected my blog this bad was when I had a baby.  But unless overhauling my house counts as a type of birth, I have no excuse.

And not to be cliche, but our life has been so crazy. So crazy it should probably be committed to some sort of asylum.  Yes, asylum sounds lovely right now.  

When I lay it all out neatly in my head though, I feel like a jerk having anything but gratitude for our current situation. I should really have to stretch to come up with something to complain about.  So instead of the I've Busted My Booty For Weeeeeeks, Husband's Working Out of Town and the House is on the Market with Four Kids Speil, I will go ahead with the We Had a Great Christmas Visit in Utah as Well as a Successful House Hunt Trip in Colorado, one.  

First things first though, after many, many days anxiously awaiting the mailman, as my dad is pictured doing here,


my parents finally received their mission call to the Chicago, Illinois mission. 




 Hard to believe they will be so close to my brother and sister.  I can't be jealous because I've had them for so long, but I still am.  

The last few weeks with them were hard for me. It's not like they are going super far away or that I won't be able to see them again soon.  But it does mean that we'll no longer be living in the same town. Not now and not after their mission.  It's like the end of an era.  An era I loved. And my kids loved.  I have plans for an in-law retreat in my new basement, but I'm not sure summers in Michigan and winters in Denver sounds too appealing to them.  They are gone now for a visit to my sister, Chandra in Idaho before they hit the Missionary Training Center on Jan. 13.

I miss them so much already.  I am grateful for technology though.  They will not have too go long without seeing my shiny mug on Facetime.

Our house here hurdled all the appraisals and inspections for the buyout and was set to go on the market the day after Christmas.  Our flight left for Utah on Christmas Day. We planned and executed Christmas 3 days early so we'd have enough to time to clean it up and finish all the house stuff before we had to leave.  

I tried to make Christmas special, but I have to admit it was hard and I'm not sure I succeeded.

We made the fudge.



And decorated gingerbread houses.




We totally went through many of the motions but neither my heart or mind was really in it. Though I did enjoy seeing the kids in their Santa hats.



Dan's company still hosted a really fabulous kid's Christmas party at the Dallas Aquarium, despite the office closing and the fact that most in attendance were being laid off.




We saw Santa twice this season and Finn's reaction was the same both times.






 Getting the family ready for a week long trip is never fun but adding to that, the fact that my house had to be ready for strangers poking through all the closets and caressing every switch plate cover before I even got home, was overwhelming to say the least.  I very nearly killed myself (and my mother, bless her generously hard working heart) in those last couple of days.

Our Christmas celebration will probably not be going down in anyone's history books.  But we made it happen and that's what counts, right? 


We did act out the Nativity story the night before, per tradition.  


My Dad has been the donkey for at least 30 straight years.



We had Jesus' birthday cake.




And we opened presents.









Luke was most excited about his new circuits. 


And legos. 





 Lots of legos.






Ava got a miniature American Girl doll and a teeny tiny book.



And Max played with his new Bat Cave and pirate ship solid 8 hours, hardly stopping to eat.





We left very early Christmas morning and enjoyed our time in Utah.  





One of the biggest bonuses of this move is being in so much closer proximity to these folks.  I smell some weekend road trips!




Snow tubing at Soldier Hollow might have to be added to the tradition list. 




 Everyone had so much fun!




 Even Max, even though he cried every run except the last one.  Those hills don't look that big but they're fast!




And because one trip wasn't enough, between Christmas and New Years, for one night and two days, Dan, and I, and Finn, flew to Denver and picked us a house! Many, many, thanks to my in laws for keeping the big kids for us.  Specifically Max.  You earned fifty gold stars and probably a special spot in heaven!

In truth, I am really, really sad to leave my Texas house.  If I could pick it up and take it with me, and possibly squeeze in an extra bathroom upstairs, I would do it in a heart beat.  

I had hoped this move would be my time for the place of my dreams.  A few acres, a spot for some animals, plenty of room for the kids to explore, and no neighbors close enough to suffer ear drum damage from Max's fits on the trampoline. Goats, and chickens, and maybe a horse or two. 

But it was not to be.  We are back in the suburbs.  We really like the house, though. 



 It reminds us a lot of our current one, plus a basement and that extra bathroom. 




 It just hurts knowing we are having to pay so much more for it.  To imagine what we'd get in Texas for the same price?  I'd have my dream house, on a little farm and a couple of champion goats to boot!

But we flew in, and flew out, and were back to Utah a day later where we got to squeeze in a quick visit to see Dan's sister, Rachel's new house, have dinner, and let the kids play in the coolest toy room in town. We're really looking forward to being able to do things like that more than twice a year.


 
Then it was home to the show ring. 4 showings Saturday and 3 on Sunday equaled 2 offers above asking price on Sunday night.  Hallelujah!

So we are now under contract on a home in Denver set to close Jan. 29 and on this home as well, set to close Feb. 4.  I have every finger and toe crossed that both deals will go through.

In summary: We found a house, we're selling this one, we will be packed and moved, our cars shipped, our closing costs paid, our temporary living and food supplied, points paid down for our interest rate, and pretty much taken care of in every possible way by Dan's company and a mindful Heavenly Father.  That's why I say I have no room for complaints.  Because as far as moving goes, things could be so much worse, but not really any better.

3 comments:

Bebe McGooch said...

Congrats! That is so awesome! And really it could have been so much worse. And to think, no more trips to the mall! Hooray!

We are so excited to see you guys more often. Charlie keeps asking to see pictures of "Baby Finn" by the way.

Lori said...

What an amazing month! Good luck in your new adventures!

ash said...

Hooray for more than one offer and a new house! I don't think there is anything "better" about a move, but it sounds like things are all going in the right direction.

We love you and are so happy that when we come to visit you will be so much closer!