This is about 15 weeks, I believe. And trust me, this is a really kind picture. I'm too vain to post from a more accurate angle.
I've started out with a little extra junk in the trunk this time around and it's stressing me out to keep seeing the scale go up and know how much longer I have to go. I keep trying to come up with scenarios in which I am not the size of a truck come September, but I'm having a hard time. A baby is worth it, I know.
Friday I was officially 16 weeks and right on cue I felt the fog begin to clear. Normal has started to creep back in, and it's amazing. There were times this past week when I felt human! I felt like I could have conquered the Russian army! Normal feels so good! For whole parts of days I not only felt motivated, I felt like I could actually get up and do something. I didn't feel like a pile of doody on the couch. I've known that our daily routine was in shambles, I just couldn't do anything about it. But this week, nothing was going to stop me from climbing out of the ditch and getting things back on track.
Dan and I have agreed on some fairly serious financial goals and have resurrected The Budget in order to meet them. One of the obvious avenues for improvement has been our eating out budget. Dinner made the endangered species list back in January. So this week I created a meal plan for the month. I really think I can do it. I can make dinner every night. I can make dinner every night. I can make dinner every night. Don't mind my little pep talk, it's just been a while.
And believe it or not, Ava has been begging to have her chores back. And she requested that she have more chores than she did in Texas. I have no idea what got into her but I won't complain. I created each child's daily chore chart and have mapped out a tentative system. I always feel like these systems have to be instated by trial and error and I can't be afraid to change what doesn't work. I've come to points of inaction because I can't be sure if "the system" is actually going to work out. I've realized though, that the only way to find out is to try. I also realized today that it would be very, very wise to create a daily chore chart for myself. I can definitely use the reminders and I love checking things off a list.
We got Ava and Luke signed up for swimming lessons.
The painters came yesterday and are making my dreams come true. They completed the foyer and living room and they'll be back this next week to do the banister, kitchen cabinets, and family room. I am so excited.
Finn and I had a pretty great trip to Chicago. And Dan and the kids enjoyed non-baby activities at home, like hiking and the movie theater.
It was really good to get a visual on where my parents are living and working. They have a cute, old house. And they seem to be getting along well with their work. Still, it was a little hard to see them and hang out with them, and feel like we so easily go together, but then remember that I was going home and they were staying there. I won't lie, I wish they'd come home.
One of the really fun parts was that Finn remembered them.
I am so glad he did, not only did it make things a little more fun for my parents, it also helped me out because I had a few extra hands willing to help that Finn was willing to receive because he wasn't scared of them.
I loved meeting Ian for lunch in Chicago.
We ate at Glen's Diner which I had seen on Diner's, Drive-ins, and Dives.
I enjoyed my meatloaf sandwich and some of Ian's Ruben, but my favorite part was the crab cakes. The scale and these meals probably have no correlation.
Mom and Dad drove me over to Lake Michigan. I didn't get any pictures, but it was beautiful. I can't wait to go there this summer with the kids. I thought about buying one of the mansions on the lake but I'm afraid that even with our extreme financial goals, they're still a little out of our price range.
Saturday, the whole gang, Ian, Cristina, Oliver, Sofia, Santiago, Leah, Chris, Noah, Ian, Sage, Thea, Me, Finn, Grandma and Grandpa, all went out for some deep dish pizza and to the Lincoln Park Zoo. I love, love, love my family.
And I can't tell you, though hopefully these pictures will help, how excited Finn was to meet his cousin Thea.
He could not get enough of her.
On one of our car rides, we made a discovery. Because it was quite cold, I brought the blanket that Finn sleeps with into the car to cover him up. While we rode, my mom, who was generously entertaining him while I rode in the front seat with a major headache, started to notice that he had an affinity for the tag on his blanket. I am fully aware of taggie blankets and how lots of children really like the tags on things, it's just that my kids never seemed to care. Except for Finn apparently. So a day or so later, when I had to say goodbye, I luckily had the presence of mind to stick that blanket in our carry on.
I wasn't looking forward to the flight home. On the plane ride out I basically fed him the entire way. There was not a second I wasn't somehow engaged in making him not fuss. He was so tired, but he hasn't fallen asleep in my arms for months and I knew there was no way it was going to happen on the plane. By the time we landed I was exhausted.
On the way home, the line for airport security was out the door, literally. For once I was really excited to be flying with the baby because they saw me waiting with him, they shunted me over to the ultra short line for kids and old people, which was good because I would have missed my flight for sure otherwise.
I folded up the stroller, took out the baby bottle and food, took off more items of clothing than should be necessary in public, and after they rubbed my palms with special paper and tested the Finn's bottle for explosives, we were deemed acceptable and they let us go. Sadly, when they put my stroller through the x-ray machine they had to give it a good squish to make it fit. When it came out the other end, it was jammed and I couldn't get it open. Never mind that I had a baby in one hand, and in the other, a carry on bag, all the clothes I was no longer wearing, plus a stroller I couldn't actually push. Our flight was boarding in a matter of minutes. I carried what I could and kicked the rest to a bench.
And thus ensued an epic wrestling match between me and that stroller. I pushed and pulled, tugged and yanked. Finn sat next to me on the bench, eyes wide. I stood on one half and pulled with all my might with my hands on the other. It was ridiculous. Another family joined my bench to get dressed and I was sure that the husband, when he caught sight of my plight, was going to offer some man muscle. The family ignored me, Finn was starting to get embarrassed and I was running out of time. Right before I jumped off the ropes for a full body slam, I decided it might be wiser to call Dan and see if he would be mad if I abandoned the stroller all together. But just as I gave one last tug, it popped right open. We hustled to the gate, and the boarding was already underway. And after all of that, the last thing I wanted to do was sit on the plane the next 2+ hours and try to entertain a baby who'd rather be sleeping in his bed.
All of the times I'd be been desperate for him to sleep away from his bed flashed through my mind. But I didn't even care! I was just so darn excited he was asleep, I smiled the whole way home.
1 comment:
Where's my chore cart? ;)
Post a Comment