When we moved here, we decided that after months without improvement of Dan staying in nursery with Ava in College Station, that we'd just drop her off and she'd stay by herself no matter what. It helped here because the nursery leaders worked really hard to help the kids be happy. As opposed to the nursery in College Station where they more or less had a 15 minute rule. If they're crying for more than 15 minutes, then you'd have to take them. It never worked for Ava. There was no way she could get herself together in 15 minutes!
Anyway, here in our new ward, there was an older couple who worked in the nursery up until last week. The husband, Brother Wilson, recently had a stroke which left him fairly impaired. He mostly sat in the rocking chair while his wife and other leaders worked with the kids. But once we moved here and Ava got dropped off, he held her through the trauma and they became fast friends. It took months for her to venture off of his lap to play with toys, but she finally did. And believe it or not, she started to look forward to nursery. Brother Wilson became what she called, "My Guy" or "My Papa Guy".
It was really neat to peek in on them. They would sit together and it was so evident that they loved each other and NEEDED each other.
Well, Brother Wilson and his wife were released and called to something else today. Ava has sought him out after sacrament meeting the past two weeks to give him a hug, it's very sweet. And fortunately, she still looks forward to nursery and says, "I got new leaders and dey yike me!" (they like me).
I am excited to work in Young Women now, with the Beehives and Dan will be in Primary, the exact class is TBA.
We took advantage of Mom and Dad being in town, and used them as babysitters for our anniversary. We had such a nice day!
We got 6 hours (not exactly in a row) all to ourselves!
Dan set up the whole day as a surprise and did a fine job. I really like to see plays and we never do, so our trip downtown to see "It's a Wonderful Life" was great!
Afterwards, we stopped home and fed the baby and got them all to bed before heading out to some late reservations at Perry's. I got my filet mignon and was a happy camper. I have converted Dan to the ways of gluttonous steak consumption and he enjoyed his filet, too (medium, at that!)
We ended with Bananas Foster and a very large check. It was kind of fun to spend that money, at least for me. It seems like we are always so budget conscious, it was nice to just not worry about it and get whatever our heart's desired.
And to remember that we were still what each other's hearts desired...
Finally, Mr. Luke is now 6 months old, half a year, 12 months from nursery. My, how time flies! I still love him. He's still cute. We go to the doctor tomorrow for his check-up and I'll surely be posting his stats later.
And from our play, "The gift of life-the most wonderful gift of all!"
3 comments:
6 months! What a doll! It looks like you had a great anniversary together. (this past august both Joe and I forgot our anniversary...W-O-W)
What a sweet story about Ava.
Are you the Beehive Advisor or the counselor over them? You'll have the best time - I miss YW so much.
I am the counselor over the Beehives. I am really looking forward to it!
Post a Comment