Well, the deed is done. The day after his 11 month birthday, Luke got tubes in his ears.
The procedure was quick and went smoothly. When he woke up after the surgery he was crying and crying but mostly because he was so hungry and tired (since I had to wake him up earlier than he would have liked) After a little bottle he was flirting with the nurse and I knew he was going to be juuuust fine.
I don't know if it's wishful thinking or the placebo effect but I felt that I could tell a difference in his hearing right after the surgery. He goes back in on Friday so we shall see, I guess.
So at 11 months, Luke stands by himself and walks with the walker if he can forget about the toys on the front of it long enough. (Down below is a quick little video of him in action)
He occasionally gives "loves" on request, (he gives them on his own accord all the time). He is babbling a lot (Dadadadada, Mamamama, Babababa) and he loves to root and wrassle on your body if you're laying on the floor. He climbs up on you, and gives big wet kisses. He especially loves to roll around on Ava.
On the offensive,
He doesn't seem to mind one bit!
In the car, he likes to "give five" to Ava as we ride along. And today as we got them out of the car after church, he had fallen asleep holding Ava's hand. Pretty cute.
Sometimes out of his Grandma-Linda-blue-eyes I see flashes of Cousin Noah and my brother Aaron. It usually takes me by surprise. Mom says it is the "Hamby eyes" (Mimi's mother's family. It's not the color or the shape, just the look.
Today I had to teach all the young women. It went well I think, but I was so grateful that all through the last month I had little stories and ideas come into my mind. And by the end of the month, I had an outline for the lesson. One of the best parts was taken from Dallin H. Oaks talk from the past conference entitled Testimony. It was so great and very applicable to our lesson on being converted. If you didn't hear it the first time or even if you did, it's totally worth another read.
My little baby girl is three and deserves her own post. And this past Thursday Mr. Rudy came out after her swimming lesson to inform me that she's ready to move up to the next class. In fact, that same day she swam under water a few times. The next level focuses more on swimming as opposed to survival skills. But for the next few weeks she will be doing her float test. (getting tossed in the pool, fully clothed, where they are on their own for 5 minutes or until they reach the side of the pool) This is optional and takes place over 3 consecutive lessons. I am nervous, because she does this in class all the time but not with her clothes on! Especially shoes. So I figure that if the first one doesn't go well, we'll just forget about the next 2 and move on up to the next level. Surely there will be an update on this!
7 comments:
Look at him go!!! Dang, your kids are so cute. Glad the tubes thing went well, and Ava is just amazing on the swimming. I could make it to the edge of the pool, but I don't know if I could tread water for five minutes.
I love seeing the kids together. I love the wrasseling. I was wondering if you might try to take some pictures of Luke that fit Mom's poem. I thought it would make a fun book and I would enjoy making the pictures. What do ya think?
I can do that! I think. Certainly I will try. What a neat idea. Thanks, Chandra!
And Wendy, she doesn't have to tread water, just float and I am sure with those strong bike riding leg muscles, you could tread water for a looong time!
So fun! I'm glad Luke's surgery went well. He'll probably have a burst of vocabulary in the next little while.
The kids are beautiful!
I love the kids playing...I am looking forward to that with my own. Yay swimming Ava and walking Luke. I think the same thing about Noah and Aaron and lately, from the pictures, Luke too. Ian has them I think...they just draw you in, don't they?
Perfect shot of the "mauler"!
P.S. I vote for skipping the floating test---it might be unpleasant and who needs it if you learn to swim---which you might not want to do after someone throws you into the pool with your shoes on!
Post a Comment