Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Big D (and I don't mean Dallas)

I'm ready for Dan (not divorce, for anyone who knows that song) to be back. Really. Like right now.

We got back from Dallas yesterday so Ava could make it to preschool today. She had another great day and apparently spent a lot of time painting.

In Dallas, my mom told me I should paint. So I did. Unfortunately, I didn't finish and left it there so I can work on it next time. It was pretty fun though and Ava kept saying she wanted to paint too. I promised her that when we got home she could use her special watercolor paints (not grandma's expensive paint) to make as many pictures as she wanted.

Ms. Tamara told me today that Ava must be going through her "black period" because she would paint with lots of bright colors and then cover it all with black paint.

Here's some of the pictures from our weekend diversion.

This is the painting with still a lot to be done,


We went to some antique stores and here's Ava in an old feather hat,


Then we had lunch in this old diner. I love how Luke likes to relax during his meals. Notice his little foot up on the table.




The weather was pretty nice and the kids liked to be out on the back patio. You know Ava was in her Cinderella dress.


Here she is hanging on the fence singing a song to passerby and Murphy. The lyrics included "my wife", "my life", "my sisters" and alot of other things. It sounded like every Disney song rolled into one.


And once he got over the threshold,



Luke liked to walk around very quickly out there and point up at the ceiling fan because it was very very exciting.


You can also see some of his new top front teeth in that picture.




Ava also took me for a ride down memory lane as she played with all of my old My Little Pony's my mom had.


But we are all anxious for our Daddy to be back. Ava keeps saying she wants to show him things. Or when she got up from her nap a day or two ago she said in her classic "statement with question inflection" form, "Daddy call on a phone and say he's coming home now?" or "Daddy is gonna be berry (very) hungry when he gets home." or as I tuck her into bed at night she asked that Daddy come in and giver her a kiss when he gets back "tonight".

And finally, we've reached the point where if there is any problem, meltdown, fit, stubbed toe, I mean anything, she immediately begins to cry and say, "I want my Daddy to come home!" And it is all I can do not sit down with her and cry, "me too!"

8 comments:

wholehappyfamily said...

I want to come home too. I'm excited to see you and the kids in just a couple of days. Luke looks a lot older to me in that picture.

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Luke does look older I love the lunch picture! I wish he and I could have a date. Ava should get together with Dallin and do a duet. He sings any free moment and the songs are always of his own creation but inspired by all the favorites.

ash said...

You are a good woman! I barely last the day and I'm ready for Jared. Your painting looks amazing! Can't wait to see it finished!

i i eee said...

Elise, you are so talented! Two weeks is a long time, hopefully it will go by fast.

Miss you guys!

Kellie said...

Aw, I know. Hang in there though. We're down to our final ten weeks so I got a big world map and put a push pin in Abu Dhabi and one in Houston and connected them with yarn. I then let Logan pick out some stickers (Thomas the Train, obviously) and we put ten from there to here. We put tape on a picture of Tom and daddy gets to ride a new train each week until he comes home. Seriously, though, it was just as hard when he'd be gone for a few day as it has been having him gone since April. It's just longer. Hang in there - you're almost done!

Leah said...

I hear ya sistah! It is stinky all the way around. You will make it....this too shall pass:)....I love you!

dishes and laundry said...

Elise, you're doing great...just a few more days. I had to laugh that Ava is thinking that since Dan isn't home, he hasn't been eating. He'd better tell her about all that restaurant food he's been having. And remind him that most Daddies bring presents when they come home from business trips. Most husbands do, too.

The Katy Daileys said...

Dan is coming back just in time for the hurricane! Hope the next few days go fast. When I had two kids almost exactly your kids ages (in 1999), Michael went to Korea and London for three weeks and one week. Michael's grandma told me to watch lots of movies to make the time go by until he came home. It worked! Your doing great!