
So Ava was gonna be Dorothy and Luke was going to be a lollipop munchkin this year. I started Ava's dress first. It was an instant hit, she kept saying, "Dorfy's gonna lub it!" She would hardly take it off.




I just winged it, as I tend to do, and I am pleased with how it turned out. Someday I will make something which does not require me to "fix" mistakes. It will just be right the first time. Even if it's only luck, I am confident that that someday will come! I didn't remember to leave extra room for adding in the zipper when I cut so then I needed to add width to the top without adding to the skirt, blah, blah, blah, it all turned out okay!
And then poor Luke. He suffers from Second Child Syndrome. He always seems to be getting the short end of the deal. A couple of days before Halloween I started to wonder if the lollipop munchkin was really the best idea. I began to doubt his ability to hold onto a huge lollipop for any amount of time, and I wanted him to be recognizable with or without "Dorfy".
I found this bear costume on sale and got it "just in case". Then I had some other flighty ideas. Then Thursday day got crazy and realized there would be no way to make any kind of costume for Luke in 15 minutes before our ward Trunk or Treat. So he was a bear. A cute, pudgy, waddly little bear. He ran around with reckless abandon just like he does every Sunday at church.
And something about the squishy tummy of the costume made him like to roll around.Halloween night was wicked fun! We had a little party with the Marcks.
My homegirl, Val, had such fun food and decorations.




We ate doughnuts off a string.

The bigger kids thought it was so fun.

Then Luke and Lainey had their own round. Lainey jumped right in there. Luke stood around dancing before he wandered off. I guess he doesn't like doughnuts.

I am without pictures for this part, but Dan, Jordan, and I had our own doughnut on a string contest, while Val was out with an injury (sore tooth!). But let's just say I took those boys for a ride! In possibly the closest doughnut eating contest in Halloween history, I came back from near defeat to win! Yeah, me!
Then we popped the kids into their costumes and we were off.

In our group we had Dorothy, The Bear, Lainey the cheerleader,

Jorgie as Pocahontas, Quentin the Ghost,

and Val the witch with her little black kitten, Clara.

Luke rode most of the way in the stroller.

He didn't collect any candy except for the pieces we used to keep him happy and quiet. It was really fun to see Ava run from house to house with all the kids, obviously enjoying herself.

One sweet little story about Ava from the night illustrates her empathy. First you must know that she loves Jorgie. Loves her. She thinks she walks on water. And rightfully so because she is one of the kindest little people around. Ava often says, "I just love Jorgie" or "I just miss Jorgie". Well anyway, the kids ventured up to a particularly spooky house with lots of creepy recorded sounds and cobwebs, etc. Poor little Jorgie got scared and cried. And Ava was not too scared about the noises, only concerned with her friend. She walked along beside her, patting her back and saying, "Oh Jorgie, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry!"
Overall, the kids collected lots of loot and had a great night and so did Dan and I!


And to my doughnut opponents, I'll just say one thing-Maybe next year, Boys. Maybe next year!
11 comments:
Cute, cute, cute! I love the story of the fun night, too!
The Dorothy dress is just right. I also prefer to wing it when I sew. I am still waiting for the day I get lucky. Each mistake and creative fix brings me one step closer. The party looks like it was fun for all. And last all I can say to the boys who might be dreamin of victory with donuts next year is they better hope Elise has a sore tooth! Cause it ain't gonna happen!
SO FUN! Don and I will have to gather friends and have a "party" next year...old folks can party too ya know! :)
Elise- first and foremost, congrats on the doughnut competition. I came in 2nd at ours, and i'm still not over it, so take it easy on all those losers :)
that dress is adorable! honestly, and so is Eva! you must hear it all the time, but she is beautiful and you should lock her up until she's 25!!!
i love to wing it when i sew, too, and i have the EXACT same issues you do--why do we not just use a pattern? i have used patterns, and the end product is usually a bit cuter/more professional, but i have no where NEAR the fun making it as i do when i wing it! I just finished Eliza's blessing gown this morning, an hour before she was christened, and, although it turned out alright, it probably would have fit a little better if i would have just used a pattern....I actually was almost convinced that if this dress turned out cute enough i could MAKE a pattern, and sell it on Etsy or something...but, i'm pretty sure that ain't gonna happen :)
anyway, you do good work, and i love to read all about it!
Honestly, I have only used a pattern once or twice n my life. I found myself confused and feeling dumb. And the one time I recently tried it, I had to alter it anyway. I actually think my own creations can sometimes look better than when I use a pattern because I can make it fit just how I'd like. And it's way more fun!
I can't wait to see little Eliza n her gown!!
I wish I could have come along! We had only about ten trick or treaters---so Halloween was no big treat this year.
I can't believe you made that dress, it looks great! I am very impressed with your skills.
You had a great holiday!! And Val made some fun food-will have to keep them in mind for the future! I love you guys and wish you could have come to my door. That bear would have fit right in with my big cats and Dorfy wouldn't have been afraid of any of them!
Yay! Elise, the reigning champion of Donut on a String contest!!! :) That was super fun - I'm so glad you are such a diligent blogger so I can visit and see my fun memories that are indeed recorded on my camera, but may never make it to the blog world! Although I MUST post my Halloween pics so everyone can see you school the guys in the donut race - that was AWESOME! :)
Let me tell you that you already know. AVA IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL DOROTHY I HAVE EVER SEEN! You have adorable children. I loved the costumes. I'm quite impress of how good you are getting into sewing. I'm glad you are having fun yay! (and by the way thanks for your always kind comments in my blog. You surely are a really wonderful person and friend.
Hello, it's Caryn! I found you through Leah. My blog is http://familyofcougars2.blogspot.com/
If I have your e-mail address I can invite you to the private version that has a bit more detail, like the kids' real names, etc.
You daughter is GORGEOUS!! And, I'm so impressed w/your sewing! Good for you! much love!
Post a Comment