Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Betty's Bein' Bad

Some days I think Ava might literally put me over the edge. What she brings to the table now only fuels my fire of anxious worry of the future.

She changes clothes on average, 5 times per day. Sometimes dress-ups and sometimes outfits. She has an affinity for anything "new". It doesn't have to be new with the tags, just new to her. Her cousin Marin's hand me downs are especially helpful for that.

And it used to be that her clothing issues were all fit-related. Like "this is too tight", "too short", "too long", "too scuzzy", "too squeeby", it was always too something.

Now our tussles are over fit as well as style, color, match, princessness, and warmth. Oh yes, and frequency. I just get so tired of changing her outfit so often. I kind of came to the conclusion that I would let her do all the changing herself. She can do most of it, but not all. She has trouble with putting shirts over her head and has been known to literally go bananas after approximately 1 second of not seeing out the head hole.


Anyway, she's all girl. And it's nature. Not nurture. I'm positive.

So here is how I found her yesterday afternoon after a short period of neglect.



This is the tame version. Later that night, as her revenge on us for ignoring a hysterical fit, she sneaked quietly to my bathroom and put on her "evening look". Double everything, including lipstick all over her cheeks. I wish I had a picture of that face but I was a little too upset. She had promised to never touch it again, without my help and it was all part of her master plan to get our attention.

I scrubbed and scrubbed at her little face successfully removing everything but the mascara. She keeps apologizing and saying she'll never do it again, and I am sure that is mostly due to the difficulty in the removal process.

She went to preschool today with a "smokey eye". As she drew an imaginary circle around her own eyes, her teacher asked me, "Her eyes?"

"Mascara."

And if this is the 3 year old version, what in heaven's name is 13 going to be like?

I'm not sure I want to know.



And one little story I would hate to forget--

During Sacrament meeting a few weeks ago, I quietly reminded her to "think about Jesus" as she took a piece of bread.
She whispered back, "I don't like Jesus"

And I said calmly, "Yes you do. He loves you and you love Him."

"No, I don't."

I continued, "Yes, you do. He gave you everything. He gave you your mommy and daddy and He loves you."

"No, I love Mommy and Daddy, but I don't like Jesus."

"Yes, yes, you do Ava." (Why are we both so stubborn?) "We wouldn't have anything without Jesus. He loves you so much and you love Him, right?"

And she said to me, "If I say yes, will you go away?"

9 comments:

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

I have a stubborn streak myself. I also hate to give attention when it is purposely provoked. When my kids would say "I hate you." My most effective response was "Thats okay I LOVE you so there!" I wish I could say it was said with sweet tenderness but I think it had more of a top that tone to it. None of them could so I win!

i i eee said...

Well you're not alone--my friend Jess's twins change clothes about 10 times a day, and I'm not exaggerating. They come up with the craziest outfits too.

I don't think I went through that phase when I was little. Maybe it was because I didn't have a lot of clothes, just the necessities. Sooner than later she'll be able to do it all herself. Just make sure she doesn't roll up her skirt in junior high only to have her younger sibling rat her out to you later. ;)

Lara said...

You're a champ Elise! When my two year old makes me wanna cry, I think about strong moms like you who make it through the phases and keep on going. You will be blessed for your efforts.

Karen Scott Welker said...

Is "Old Hat, New Hat" her favorite book?
We always tell Lucy that she can wear make-up on Halloween and when she gets to Young Women's. She asks how far away Halloween is on a weekly basis.
As for your Sacrament conversation, just save that for when she complains about her kids.

Leslie said...

Send her on over!

Castaneda 5 said...

hahaha I go through the same thing with Isabel every day! She is so particular with what she wears. It's so annoying when they change all the time because you have more laundry to do!

Val said...

hahahahahahahaha! Oh how I needed an Ava fix and a good belly laugh! That child CRACKS ME UP.

KCK said...

Great story! Just got my laugh for the day!

Not to discourage you, but Emily still hasn't grown out of the changing clothes and accessorizing several times a day when the occasion (and there are lots of them!) calls for it--going to the store, inviting a friend over, Young Women, inviting a different friend over, etc.

Emily was a late talker, but she let me know nonverbally that she would not wear anything but a dress at age 2. This lasted until I found a pair of pink jeans at a garage sale at age six. Such is the life of a mother with a princess for a daughter!

Tara said...

that cracks me up!!! I love the things little kids say! We have had similar experiences in our house! I have heard that phrase many a time ...if I say _____ will you go away/leave me alone, etc. enjoy it while they're young and it's funny...cuz when they get older it's not quite as humorous! :)