I thought about the time I broke my finger. No, not that time, the first time, in high school. And how it was mangled and I had to have surgery to have it pinned. My phobia of hospitals, blood, needles, nurses, squeaky shoes, and anesthesia (which I have completely overcome), all combined into this terribly traumatic and embarrassing episode at the hospital on the day of surgery.
I laid in the bed as preparations were made, and I was freaking out on the inside and the outside. For a moment, I actually considered jumping up from the bed and running out of the hospital. I was pretty sure I could outrun my nurse and both of my parents. But, I didn't have the car keys, which left me with only the option of running down the streets of Nashua. I thought I could make it to a phone and call a friend to pick me up.
Finally I conceded in my mind that I could not run away from this, because even if I escaped the hospital, my finger would still be broken. It would not heal well on it's own and the idea of sporting a twisted finger the rest of my life was not appealing.
Really and truly, I considered this as a viable possibility, even if only for a moment.
So I stayed. I cried during the entire pre-op, I had the surgery, gained an appreciation for anesthesia, and went home.
Now fast forward 11 years. I am in a completely different situation but pondered almost the same idea, even if only for a moment.

Some days, like yesterday, I just feel like I want to run away. I have wonderful children, but of course that doesn't mean that things are always wonderful. It was a really bad day that I should have seen coming based on the past few weeks.
The weight of the responsibility of raising well-adjusted, kind humans, is heavy on me. I do okay and I do terrible and on occasion I do well. I worry sometimes, that instead I will produce poorly adjusted humans traumatized by a crazy mother.
And in those moments, I think of running away, escaping, halting the damage I am doing to them and to myself. But then I always come back to the same spot-I could escape the hospital, but my finger would still be broken- I could run away from home but I'd still be their mother. And when they are as difficult as they were yesterday, I know that only their mother could love them.
Then the weight of this position of non-resignation feels even weightier. I heard our patriarch speak this past Sunday. He explained that his position is his for life. He will never be released. And that is motherhood as well. The kids may grow, circumstances may change, but I will always be their mother.
Last night, Ava started to complain about her tummy hurting. I thought it was from all the water she drank trying to show off her new gargling skills (that I was decidedly ignoring once she refused to honor my wish to "use good manners") The rest of the evening off and on she said, her tummy hurt.
Then about 10 pm, she threw up in her bed. And then 4 more times in the toilet. And then once more in the bowl we left by her bed.
Here was this little person, who had literally pushed me as far as I felt I could go, just hours before, inducing such empathy and love that I could hardly contain, as I cleaned her up, and changed her bedding, gave her medicine, and held her close. How is it possible to go to the edge and all the way back in less than one day?
I love my children. This is one tough job, at least for me, and I must assume for anyone who's actually trying to do a good job. It has brought me to my knees in every sense of those words. I fight feeling hugely inadequate on days like yesterday but I be will grateful forever that I will always be their mother.
7 comments:
Big hugs to you, Elise...and a safe distance blown kiss to Ava. Hope she's feeling better soon.
I really feel for you - I'm sorry you're in this rough patch. I have been there - I honestly think every Mother has - so you are not alone.
You are a wonderful Mother! Your kids are very lucky to have you, praying for them, for yourself, and wanting to raise them the right way. The harder the challenge...the deeper the joy and gratitude when successes are realized.
And I'm fairly sure I've got you beat on traumatizing your kids. Just ask Cam and Aaron about the time I had a temper tantrum and THREW A PUMPKIN. Yeah, baby. I chucked it good. My point got across.
Love you!
Elise, I don't know how you always seem to be on the same brain wave as I am. (Oh, maybe because we both have two adorably naughty children, and we are like bosom friends) Thank you so much for your post. IT was really what I needed to hear today. You are always such an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing your story.
Oh, I could tell you some good "Bad Mother" stories. And yet, somehow, my kids are turning out OK. I think the Lord puts these "perfect" little souls in our imperfect arms, so that we can all grow together. I figure if He gave me these "angels," He can help me deal with them. And He has.
Thanks for sharing your deeply personal moments with us. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who wants to run away.
That's exactly how I feel a lot of the time, meaning I feel like I'm traumatizing them more than helping. I know you are helping. You are amazing Elise!
Your patience and unconditional love amaze me every time I see you interact with your children. You are much too hard on yourself. I have a song I want to share with you...remind me next time you are at my house. LUVS.
I remeber the day I woke up and felt like I would be the worst thing my children had to overcome in life. I lived in Houston and I wanted to run away then too. I thought it was too bad I wasn't Catholic cause then I could go be a Nun. If it helps I think it gets to be, if not easier, a different kind of challenge. One that is more about helping them than about purifying you. I love you.
Elise you are so beautiful.
Love you!
Post a Comment