Monday, February 2, 2009

A little pick me up

That's what Dan needs today, as he just told me on the phone from work and actually so do I.

It's interesting how things can go along just fine and then WHAM! all of the sudden things get all out of whack.

So after a morning of frustration over a variety of issues, I crawled back into my bed. Ava soon found me,

"How your face looks, Mom?


Sad?"

I really don't know if I answered her. She trotted away with tears in her own eyes and returned after a moment with a handful of goldfish crackers. For me.

"I want you to feel happy, Mom" she said through her tears which were only amplified by her guilt in knowing she was the author of much of my frustration. She left again and came back with 2 stuffed animals and a blanket. She was still undressed from the bath she requested and then refused because it hurt the scrape on her foot. She climbed into the bed with me. She gave me an animal. And laid down beside me.

Soon, Luke showed up. He climbed into the bed and joined our pile. He leaned his snotty face onto mine and patted my arm. And we stayed in like this for about 10 minutes, their smooth baby skin all around me.

And it's interesting how things can feel so cruddy and then S L O W L Y you can begin to feel better.

That was the best pick me up I've had in a while.

I think that it is in the nature of all of the best things to hold within in it the capacity for extremes. The most awful, hard, and difficult must have an equal reciprocal of the most joyful, peaceful, happy, and fulfilling. If being a mom were always joyful it would never be as joyful as being a mom when it is sometimes very difficult and sometimes very joyful. Or as some might sum it up-opposition in all things.

7 comments:

Leah said...

So, what does Dan get as a pick me up? Some baby skin and love pats? I had a good snuggle with my own the other morning and it is amazing how great it is-so simple, yet so great!

Elise said...

He requested a blog post as his pick me up. He is so easy to please!

The Katy Daileys said...

What a sweet moment after a hard day! I had a day like that yesterday and most of today. At least we all go through it so we are not alone! Hope tomorrow is better!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

I have to say I am like Dan. I love a little blog post to pick me up too.
Thanks for the boost.

Leslie said...

Seeking to meet needs---thats what life is all about. I'm glad Luke and Ava knew how to comfort you!

Don and Robin Cooper said...

I'm glad you recognize those small wonderful moments that come your way, along with the not so good ones. Together they really do help us stay grounded and appreciate all we have! You are a wise woman, like your own Mama! Hope the rest of the week is good for you.

dishes and laundry said...

This was a beautiful post-and absolutely true. I also think it's A-okay to let your kids see you cry every once in a while. Sorry you had a rough morning, but what a sweet memory. That's what families are for - to tear you down and then lift you back up, hehehe.

I'd take a shower and start the day over. Good luck! Love you!!!