Monday, February 23, 2009

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

I think of what is going on in our little life and what I should post, and I think that I could write a new post each day on how I am feeling overwhelmed. I truly appreciate those of you who left comments or emailed me regarding my last post. We are just in some kind of funk right now. But all funks must end, as they don't say. But I know that if I keep ruminating on the struggle part, it will do no good.

So, In an attempt to distract us all from some perpetual bad moods and/or impulsive overreactions, I have been trying to come up with a few more little activities to supplement our daily routine.

The following was truly a spontaneous event that left us all breathless from giggles and exertion (at least for me).

Ava was already awake from her nap and crusty as is usual these days. I was finishing up folding some laundry and when Luke woke up I brought in the laundry basket to put away his clothes. After I did that, I found myself with arms full of baby and no willing helper to carry the basket back to it's home.

So I stuck Luke in the basket and pushed him back out to the family room. Excitement and squealing ensued and after a few turn-taking switches, we found that the best option was to put them in the basket together.



I would race them up and down the length of our house, getting in an extra workout for myself and providing the kids with some needed enjoyment!

I realized as it was happening that I hadn't taken many pictures for a while, mostly for lack of subject, but I also realized that this may be as exciting as this month gets.

And I caught the rare shots of Luke and Ava together, looking happy. Not that they're not happy together much of the time, more that I can never get a picture of it.



And when Ava begged and Luke cried for more, my legs just couldn't do it. This is Luke's, "Please push us more, Mommy!" face.



But, like I said, my legs were jello. So Ava hopped out to try her hand at being "the runner".




And she realized just how hard it was. Now I am finding myself trying to be more aware of the little ways we can have fun.

And in closing, to reassure you, my ever-faithful readers, and myself that I am not devoid of happiness, here are five little things that are making me happy recently:

1. Having my eyebrows threaded. If you've never seen it, look it up, it's pretty cool. It hurts, but I am liking the results.

2. Weighing 15 pounds less than I did on January 8, 2009.

3. Downloading some new songs.

4. Finishing a sketch and idea for Ava's Easter dress and possible matching skirt for me.

5. Wet kisses from Luke, hearing Ava say things like, "I want to stay with you, Mommy" or "Mommy, I just love you", and having a Dan. Everyone should have one of those!

9 comments:

abbott said...

Wowsers dowsers! 15 lbs! Is there anything else left of you? Great job. Eyebrow threading- never heard of it. I looked it up. AT least there are no needles involved. Can't wait to see you this summer.

dishes and laundry said...

Yeah, that 15 pounds is what everyone is going to comment on - WOW! Way to go!

That laundry basket push sounds like a great cardio workout. Those Biggest Loser Trainers never thought of that.

Keep smilin'!

Castaneda 5 said...

Congrats on the 15 lbs! You've inspired me to get back on the wagon with my own weight goal! Oh and yes I agree, Dan rocks! He was our King Benjamin on Sunday and the kids actually quietly listened! I think he should visit every week!

Melissa said...

Your amazing elise and a great example to me. Way to go on the 15lbs - you look great. I have hit a major road block so if you have any ideas? :)

Leslie said...

I don't think Murphy would go for the basket ride--but I could use the extra exercise! Hooray for carb counting---it's working at our house as well. Congrats on your 15!

Jill said...

I still think that a day under the bed isn't a bad idea--but it may be more fun to go for pedicures. Ahhh...seasons in our life--it's funny though...we wouldn't trade it. Thanks for the inspiration you are!

Lori said...

It sounds like you've had some really good things happen: 15 pounds is GREAT!!! I totally understand feeling in a slump. I'm so excited for spring to come, because after a while winter just makes me feel down. Oh, and that threading things is amazing! I kept watching videos of it on youtube because I just couldn't believe it!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Fun is really a powerful medicine. Hope you get a good dose with and without your kids.

Leah said...

What was it Dr. Palmer always said about laughter?