My grandmother had open heart surgery today. Things went well and she is recovering nicely. I think the anticipation of this has been been putting a damper on my already low attitude (a constant state of sickness can do that to a person, but I'm not talking about that, right?)
Our cruise is in exactly 2 weeks. Now that Mimi's surgery is over, perhaps I can start feeling excited about that again. I know I said I was done, but I really hope I feel better by then.
Know what else I am sick of? I am sick of my blog background's depressing colors. I can appreciate "Cutest Blog on the Block" and all, but I am a creature of habit, so I need something really simple and plain that I can live with for a while. I cannot change the background for each holiday or season. Honestly it will be really hard for me to even change to "Minima" because I really do not like change. But I need something happy and light. I will just have to get brave and I can always come back to this old look, right? Right! I have nothing to lose!
Now on to the real meat.

Ava has been in preschool 2 days a week for the past school year at a local Lutheran Church. She has such an awesome teacher and looks forward to going each Tuesday and Thursday. And through the months I have gotten the distinct impression that Ava really puts on her best face at school. Which is good, I'm not complaining about that, I just find it very interesting.
This week I had parent/teacher conference with Ms. Tamara, the sweetest, littlest, prettiest teacher. She and I sat across from each other on miniature chairs at a miniature table. She remarked that she liked the feeling of sitting at that table because it made her feel big, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I looked like an elephant on a tricycle.
She started by saying that this time of the year makes her so sad and that she might cry during our meeting. I told her not to worry because I am a crier. We then spent the next 15 minutes going point by point through Ava's 3 year old Evaluation.
My favorite standout from each area of development follow:
Spiritual development
Praises God with Song- Ms. Tamara said she is the loudest singer in chapel. She loves to sing!
Emotional development
Responds well to discipline and limits- Ms. Tamara said that she could not think of one time she has had to discipline Ava. That is wonderful to hear but also kind of bizarre.
Social development
Works and plays cooperatively with others- She spends time playing with the girls, and time with the boys, and has friends in the other 3 year old class too. She is a friend to everyone.

Intellectual development
Sings the alphabet song- Ms. Tamara asked her to sing it, Ava said, "no". Ms. Tamara asked her if she knew it, Ava said, "yes". Ms. Tamara asked her again, "then will you sing it?" and Ava said, "no thanks"
Motor Development
Hops on one foot- Ms. Tamara said that Ava tried her hardest, again and again, and could almost do it, but not quite. Ava kept asking, "Did I do it?! Did I do it?!" to which Tamara would respond, "really good try Ava!" and Ava would say, "Yeah, but did I do it?!" Ava has been practicing a lot at home, by her own accord, and can now proudly do one hop, on one foot.
And this is what was written at the bottom of the 2 page form:
I really enjoy Ava-She has such a wonderful personality! She is full of sunshine!! She always comes in with a smile and spreads them around! I will truly miss her next year!
Love,
Ms. Tamara
And Ava will truly miss Ms. Tamara next year.
Dan and I were discussing this evaluation and Ava in general the other night. We decided that this was a proud parent moment. Not proud that our child is wicked awesome and cooler and smarter and prettier than other kids, just proud that our child is turning into a real little person who is going out into the world and finding success and happiness. Proud that even though she has such a tender heart and over-reactive tendencies and temper, when she needs to tame her fire, she can, at least with people other than her parents.

I know I am extra hormonal at the moment, but I am overcome with feelings about her. And they are feelings that don't really have words I can type out on a keyboard. She requires the most out of me. For our time to be even remotely pleasant or successful together, I truly have to be in my best form, without exception. Unfortunately, that is impossible. But it forces me to always be looking in that direction. She refines me. And I like to think that I am helping to refine her. Together we are a little team of girls that share love and push each other to expand our boundaries of goodness. She is helping me be who I truly want to be. And I hope that I can even do a small portion of the same for her.
9 comments:
I think that is how it worked for us , right?
Hoorah for Ava!!
I think you are right and as I was reading about the eval, I kept thinking "yep, she got that from you. yep, she got that from you." You can bring out the best in each other and that best is pretty amazing! Good job, parents!
I don't think there will ever be a replacement for Ms. Tamara! She is one of a kind and all teachers in Adam's life will be compared to her. She is amazing. I am so glad you got to experience preschool with her, also. We will forever remember her "Woot, Woot!" Ava is an amazing girl and that is because of her amazing mother!
I love the idea of refining. It's so nice to have those proud parent moments too. I have a feeling you are going to have a lot of them!
Beautiful post! Sounds like Ava is doing just great - I love that she's not just falling for the "good try" - she wants to know if she actually did it. Very smart.
You guys are doing a great job - I really believe that the "harder" the kid, the sweeter the successes are. When you see progress or joy in them your heart just leaps with happiness and gratitude. You deserve that proud parent moment!
I'm totally with you about blog backgrounds. I love to see them on the other blogs I follow but they just aren't really for me. I really did think of you and Mom as I read this entry and your three or four year old birthday party. You were mad through the whole thing and you even got Clip Clop the Wonder Pony. Well the memories make me smile and remind me how much I love you.
above is Chandra
Congrats on being pregnant, I am so excited for you guys!
Ava sounds delightful...and probably her "Mama's" girl for sure! Love your blog, love your insights as a young Mother! It's a good thing when our children go out into the world and know how to "act"! Just shows they have been taught by goodly parents-and Ava certainly has! Bravo to you and Dan! :)
Post a Comment