Sunday, June 14, 2009

That's what I'm talking about!

Yesterday a marvelous thing happened. Well, first a not-so-marvelous thing happened, but it inspired some marvelosity. I know I am a bit weird but this got me so excited!

I went to Motherhood Maternity. I pulled about 300 items off the racks and settled into the dressing room. Nothing was right. I am at the awkward stage of not fitting into my regular clothes but not looking quite pregnant either, just fat I suppose.

But as I tried on thing after thing, I was totally digging the "secret belly" panel that has arrived since my last pregnancy, which consists of stretchy material that goes all the way around your tummy. As I investigated further I found this stretchy stuff was simply serged right to the edge of the pants and/or skirts.

So I left the store with a measly purchase. I came home and headed to my closet where a pile of non-fitting, old clothes has sat for a looong time. I enivisioned using the material for sewing projects, but had yet to do it.

I found an old hippie skirt that was never quite long enough on me. I also found a stretchy pink shirt that was too short for my liking. Do you see where this is going? Come along, I'll show you!


I cut off the bottom of the skirt and the bottom of the shirt. This way I still had a finished edge on each article of clothing.

And I have a serger that I still can't operate, so I settled for a little zig zag action instead. Facing right sides together and lining up the raw edges, I made myself a maternity skirt,



Not too unlike those I tried on at the store.


And then there's a bonus!

After chopping off the bottom of the skirt, I was left with a drawstring waisted, tiny skirt, just perfect for a little girl I know. I just hemmed the bottom and it was instant gratification!


So 45 minutes and $0 later, we have two new, wearable skirts, out of formerly unusable, disregarded laundry. Wahoo!

11 comments:

Mommy B said...

This is too, too cool! I can't believe how creative you are with a sewing machine. If I don't have a pattern I don't make it. The skirt is too cute and I'm sure Ava is loving the little bonus she got out of it. :)

Jill said...

Darling! What a fantastic idea! You are so creative!

Castaneda 5 said...

That's a great idea!

Karen Scott Welker said...

"Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do or do without." Brigham Young would be so proud.

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

What a great gift you have! Both of them looked. Let us know what you are having! I'm still waiting for your address:)

Leslie said...

Good Job!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

love it! such pretty girls too.

Lulu said...

If there were a prize for recycling ingenuity, you would win it.

Tara said...

you are amazing...would you come fix my closet full of clothes?? :) I love that you got a skirt for Ava out of it!! :)
super stylish!!

Don and Robin Cooper said...

Litte Mama, after you help Tara out with her closet full of non wearable clothes...come help me with mine! Great idea!

emilyaaa said...

seriously, girl, that's what I'm talkin' about!! that is AWESOME!! you and i think SOOO much alike in that sense -- it's crazy!! And all my friends here think i'm nuts! so, with (or without) your permission, i'm going to direct them all to your blog to see that i'm not the only crazy one!!! the skirt turned out great, Ava's is adorable, and you didn't spend a dime. i couldn't love it more. honestly. talk about re-using and recycling.

so, i am dying to know aobut your love/hate for your serger. i was hoping to read endless posts about how much you use it, love it, are getting used to it---and then i was going to convince Reid to get me one. but i'm starting to think that ain't gonna happen....
do you think they'll ever make a serger for dummies? i think i'll wait for that one :)
keep on rockin', girl. i LOVE it! and I LOVE "the plan", too, and i might just steal the "clean mud" idea.
remind me why we don't live closer?