Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Part 3-Pictures and lots of walking

So the every-two-year Abbott Reunion took place in Park City this year. We stayed in a 3 story house right near the Olympic Park. Those stairs made me really grateful for our one story house. Seriously, if I had to live with those stairs I think I would probably drop this baby a few months early.

And the saga continued with the kids as we moved from one reunion to the next. Luke would scream and throw himself around if Dan ever left his line of sight. Ava was officially rude to each member of the family. And this is my official apology to all who came across her crusty path: I am sorry.

There were a few things that were soothing to the kids. A daily walk was one of them.


The neighborhood boasted lots of shade and flowers for picking (dandelions, mostly).



To Ava's delight, Grandma even figured out how to make flower buttons!



And it afforded us all some happy time. It really reminded me how much I would love to live in a more "natural" setting. There is something calming and refreshing about being outside. Especially when it's not 100 degrees and humid.

And on our first day there, while the rest of the family took off to the temple open house, Leah's fam and ours stayed home so our kids could nap.

Before they did though, I took some pictures for them. A few of the family and then some of just Leah.



And as we were doing the latter, we heard little Ian let out a scream! Chris brought him over to show us the damage. The poor little guy took a tumble down the mulch covered hill.


And it was his own mama who requested the pictures!


The last story for this post is really one of "what might have been". On one of our last days, the crew decided to take a hike up Stewart Falls. I am was automatically out because as I mentioned previously, I was already feeling like the ligaments and tendons holding the lower half of my body together went on a separate vacation than me. Luke was out, obviously, which also meant Dan was out, mostly because he felt too bad to leave me with Luke.

But Ava was not necessarily out. I questioned her willingness to go once she found out neither Dan or I would be going, but surprise us she did! She was very excited! I didn't pack the right shoes for hiking but her purple sparkle shoes with some borrowed socks would just have to do.

Meanwhile, Dan, Mimi, Luke, and I had our own "hike" around Bridal Veil Falls just a few minutes away.


I really wanted to stay close in case Ava couldn't make it. I didn't want her to tire out and then ruin the hike for everyone else. So I promised that we would be 15 minutes and phone call away in case she couldn't do it. As they were leaving I kept asking her, "What do you do when your legs get tired?"

"Keep walking!"

So we meandered through the park. Luke was so cute when he came to this little clearing along the river. He let go of Dan and Mimi's hands, walked himself over to this spot and plopped down to watch.



After a little more walking we sat down in the shade with some trail mix and I dialed up Mom just to check in. She informed me that Ava was still just as enthusiastic as she was at the beginning, but that her darn purple shoe was rubbing her heel and making a blister. She was slowing them down because she was trying to walk with her heel out of her shoe. Uncle Chris got her a band aid but it wasn't doing the job. At that point they decided it would be best for Ava to turn back accompanied by Grandpa (Thank you, Grandpa! Though I think he was secretly happy for the excuse!)



So we gathered ourselves and made it out of the park and met the hikers at the trail head a few minutes later.



Ava was still in good spirits.



I was really proud of her. And I promised we would take her to see a waterfall since she didn't get to see this one.



Apparently, on the way up a lady passing the group saw Ava's shoes and said, "Well, Stewart Falls has never seen the likes of those shoes!"

And sadly enough they never will!

2 comments:

Val said...

You've officially made me long for cooler weather. And a family reunion. Now I'm sad. Hmmm, maybe a visit from a good friend would cheer me up?? ;)

Melissa Wilson said...

We just got back from an exhausting family trip and I have to agree with you-- it is so good to be home. In your own space where things are normal and kids are happy (and momma is happy!) Everything is so much smoother! I just love your updates and appreciate your perspective among so many "only show the perfect" blogs! It makes me feel better when my life isn't so picture perfect!