Thursday, November 4, 2010

But First There Was Halloween

We closed on Friday October 29. Max's 1 year birthday.



We haven't celebrated yet but maybe this weekend. Or next. Or the one after that.



The moving truck was scheduled for Monday the 1st. So in the meantime we had our Halloween festivities. Namely a trunk or treat on Friday and the "Monster Mile" put on by my parent's neighborhood on Saturday.

Friday morning I was in Walmart trying to be inspired (is that an oxymoron?) Ava couldn't choose what she wanted to be and Luke had requested to be Wall-E. Max had big plans to be a baby.

I decided that Ava could easily be Rapunzel with one of the dresses I had already picked up and a yarn wig I'd seen how to make in Family Fun magazine.

And while I was browsing for Wall-E robot accessories, Dan called me with a costume change. Luke didn't want to be Wall-E anymore.

He wanted to be a fan.

So after pulling the brainpower of friends and family, I finally set to dissembling an old box fan my parents were willing to donate to the cause.

Luke wasn't actually a fan, but he did get to wear one, which to him was just as good.


I was proud of myself for taking it all apart and then using a tinker toy, a sink strainer, and some zip ties, I managed to attach it to a backpack and still make it able to spin.



Once I was done with that I only had to attach thousands of strands of yarn to some pantyhose.




I finished in the nick of time!

We were running back and forth to the car, buckling kids, grabbing candy bags, making bottles, retrieving the pacifiers, and it was during one of those passes that I stepped off the edge of the sidewalk like a big klutz in flip flops and sprained my ankle.

Despite having done that so many times in my life, I was still shocked by the pain. We were cutting it close as it was, so Dan and the kids dropped me off at an emergency center, for x-rays, just in case. Then they went on their way to the trunk or treat and the timing worked out quite well for them to pick me up on their way home.

I was sad to miss the evening but I did get to sit in a bed, by myself for a whole hour and 10 minutes and watch HGTV, which after the past few weeks really felt like heaven. Even with a throbbing ankle.

My ankle was not broken and even felt better than I expected the next day. With a gimpy, splinty limp I was glad to accompany the family on the Monster Mile.





This time I got to see the kids and others reactions to their costumes. Which for Luke were pretty interesting. I guess you'd have to know him to get it.

My favorite moment of the night was when I asked the kids to come over for a picture.

I said, "Say, Trick or Treat" which they did.



Then I said it again. Only this time, Luke got all silly and while he jumped in the air and landed with his backside poking towards me he said,

"Say...Fan!!"


5 comments:

The Katy Daileys said...

Too cute! The fan is my favorite costume of the year! Great job, Mom, for making darling costumes! Glad to hear things are going well (except the ankle, but love the alone time)!

Jill said...

Love the costumes. We must be friends--I spent 3 hrs at the dentist watching HGTV and somehow that felt like a break too. We're missing you guys! Glad that you all enjoyed your Halloween.

Tiffany said...

I LOVED! the costumes! That is hilarious about the Fan. That will be a funny story to tell to his friends about his obsession with Fans. I hope he has plenty in the new house! I hope you are settling in. We appreciate you taking time to still keep us posted on your life. You know we would all just be going crazy not hearing from you! Miss you!

Tiffany said...

I LOVED! the costumes! That is hilarious about the Fan. That will be a funny story to tell to his friends about his obsession with Fans. I hope he has plenty in the new house! I hope you are settling in. We appreciate you taking time to still keep us posted on your life. You know we would all just be going crazy not hearing from you! Miss you!

dishes and laundry said...

I can't believe your life lately! Awesome, awesome costumes - Mother of the year, seriously. That Max just about steals my heart every time I see a picture.