Tuesday, June 7, 2011

'Tis the Season

Whelp, it's that time of year again. The season where the first thing you do, no matter what, when getting in the car, is start the engine and blast the air conditioning. The season when you turn on your faucet hoping for cold water, and quickly remember that it's not gonna come, no matter how long you wait.

We've been in the high 90's this week. Ava has 2 more days of school.

About this time each year (earlier than this actually) I start to get really worried about summer and how it's going to go with the kids home all day everyday. And about this time I start concocting a plan.

This year is no different. I have been scheming, researching, bookmarking, writing, and scheduling. In the past I have worried, made a plan, used some of my ideas, and been pleasantly surprised that summer wasn't as awful as I dreaded.

This year I am definitely not as worried as I have been. It helps that the kids are a little older. I still expect there to be days I think about making a countdown chain til the start of school, but I think that's par for the course.

Actually I am even a little excited for the possibilities this summer. This is a new city, with new things to see and discover. I am taking page out of my friend, Tiffany's, book. I'm not sure I've ever told her this before, but her attitude about going out and doing things is something I have really admired. I tend to be someone that, in an effort to avoid a scene, or wasted energy (remind me to tell the butterfly museum story! It is a treat!), ends up staying home while everyone argues, rather than getting out and trying something new. Sure there still may be a scene, or a fit, or everyone whines the entire time, but sometimes the kids love it, sometimes we discover a new favorite place, or sometimes we just simply have a good time.

So this summer, I am going to pretend that I am Tiffany and I am just going to go out and do some things. I have a tenative activity written in for each day we are home this summer. Some of the activities are not big or exciting, but what I have learned from the past couple of years is that, while there are many days that I don't end up using my plan (and that's okay too), it feels good to have something waiting in the wings in case there is a need. I have different weeks designated as Science Week, Art Week, Cooking Week, Music Week, where the days' activities fit under the respective category.

I also have a list of things to do at home anytime and things to go out and do.

I am sharing some of my list in case someone else might find it helpful and then of course I would love to hear any of your ideas.

At home (these are on slips of paper to be drawn out of a jar as needed):
teach Ava and/or Luke to do some embroidery
handsewing (Ava has loved this in the past)
build a tent
write letters
rent a movie
scavenger hunt (I draw picture clues and they search for the "treasure")
"paint the fence" with paintbrushes and buckets of water
play a board game
read books
play hide and seek
play in the sprinkler
play hairdresser
sidewalk chalk
have a tea party with stuffed animals
make cookies
indoor hopscotch (tape the squares on the floor)


Things to go out and do (some are obviously applicable to this area and most are indoors since it's hotter than hades here in the summer):
go to ikea (they love the child watch place and also to eat a cheap lunch)
dollar store to pick out 1 thing
ride the train or carousel at the mall
go to "the tubes" (a free indoor play place here)
ice skating (not sure I can do this one by myself!)
bowling
Galleria
meet dad for lunch
arboretum/frog fountain
play in the stream at the park
library storytime
swim

Some of the places penciled onto our calendar are (mostly museums):
American Museum of Miniature Arts
Ft worth and Dallas Art museums (they have some kids programming scheduled and discounted days)
Dallas Museum of Nature and Science and the Children's Museum
Museum of Science and History
Old City Park
Mrs. Bairds Bread factory tour
Nash Farm
dollar movie

We have rented a condo in Galveston and are looking forward to some time at the beach. And we are taking a trip to Utah and Idaho in July. Ava will have tutoring for 45 minutes each day in June, so our calendar isn't looking all that bare and daunting. If all goes as planned, this summer shouldn't be half bad!

11 comments:

emilyaaa said...

oooooh, i LOVE your list! i have never hand-sewn anything with my girls--that's a great idea!! and hopscotch on the floor? LOVE IT!! Of course, your list will be much more useful in the winter--when we aren't spending every waking moment in our backyard....which leads me to my NEXT point. PLEASE MOVE HERE!! I know you've got family and stuff where you are, and that's nice and all...but c'mon--the weather's great here (even in the winter--Reid golfed this January!) and the people are even better (by people, i really just mean us :)

We, too, are going to be in UT and Idaho--the last 2 weeks of July. What are the odds of us getting together? probably slim, since i'm sure you've got family shin-digs taking you there, as well. But just keep us in mind, and maybe luck will have us at the same family-focused tourist attraction at the same time :)

Elise said...

Emily! Yes! I mean, yes to getting together in Utah or Idaho, not moving to Colorado, unfortunately. Actually I wouldn't mind living in CO at all. We'll see what the future holds right?
But we are going the last week and a half of July. Let's do it! We're going to be in Heber the first half and in Rexburg the second. I'm assuming you guys will be in Provo, and I don't know where in Idaho, but surely we can find a snippet of time to do lunch at least?

Bebe McGooch said...

I love your list!

I've been reading "Steady Days" from http://www.steadymom.com/, and I admit that I really look forward to the stage when Charlie and I can go do stuff!

I love one idea that the mom from Steady Mom does (although she does it in the winter, but with how hot it gets there, I imagine it would be a fun indoor activity for summer) is what she calls a "rice table." She has a long plastic container on wheels that she can keep under her bed, and it's filled with uncooked rice. Then there are toys that are kept with the rice, like cars and trucks and things. She says they put a tarp out on the floor before bringing it out, and the kids have yet to throw the rice--and she hopes they don't, or else rice table will go away.

Anyway, I'm sure if you didn't want to use rice, something else might be used.

I had another idea, but alas, it has now slipped my brain. I took too long to type to this point apparently.

Bebe McGooch said...

Make a piñata! ;) Or other papier-mâché.

(Not the idea I just forgot, but hey!)

And if you can do it outside, all the better, to help minimize the mess.

Elise said...

The rice table is a good idea. I had heard of using a similar container or a portable sandbox type thing for using outdoors, which I've also thought is a great idea. But the rice thing might work for us.

Also, I have made a pinata with Ava before and I about busted a capillary trying to not stress over the mess. Not sure I could do it with the other two unless we are outside. At least we have a nice big covered porch in the back so that could work too. Also I read my Family Fun magazine yesterday and they had a few things to add to my list, but your pinata suggestion reminded me of one of theirs- a pinaqua-fill a trash bag with water, hang it up pinata style and whack it with a broom till it explodes!

Elise said...

"similar container FOR a portable sand box"

Bebe McGooch said...

Pinaqua sounds awesome.

I remember now that my friend bought a cheap plastic pool, and filled it up with balls, so her 18 month old could have her own ball pit at home.

Yeah, a piñata definitely is an outdoor or maybe garage project when you have small children helping.

dishes and laundry said...

Can my kids come to your house for the summer? That is an awesome list!

Don't forget to add "Play Spa Day"...it's where YOU lie down and the kids massage your neck, shoulders and back, rub your feet, lotion and massage your legs, paint your toenails, play with your hair, lotion massage your hands...and then you can tip them and be their favorite client.

Bebe McGooch said...

Ooh, I was looking at the nature ideas at Childhood 101, and it all looks like so much fun!

http://childhood101.com/2011/06/9-ways-to-play-with-nature-indoors/

Elise said...

Cool link, Rachel. I've been wanting some tree trunk blocks for a while and now that that handy tree just fell in our yard, I know right where I can get them!

Bebe McGooch said...

Opportunity knocks down your back yard!