Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving and the Zoo

Can you believe I didn't take one picture of Thanksgiving?

The day got off to a rocky start but once Dan and I let go of the idea of a "relaxing" holiday things sort of lined themselves up. Our relaxing Thanksgiving days are over, at least until our kids quit their whiny ways.

This year like all the others, really makes me remember just how excellent I have it. My life is good and when I try to list all the things I am grateful for it's eye opening.

Over the course of the last six days I saw license plates from Florida, then New Hampshire, Kansas, and then Kentucky (Fayette County, even). Quite the coincidence of you ask me. I couldn't help but collect them all in my mind and feel immense gratitude for the places my life has taken me and for all of the wonderful people I've met along the way.

Mom and I split up the responsibilities this time, and while it all turned out yummy, I think we kept ourselves running around enough that the camera never made it out of the bag.

Mom cooked at her house, and I at mine. Though we did have a mid morning rendezvous in my kitchen just to get the feel of cooking together.

At 2 o'clock my parents came over, with bounteous baskets of food and dishes and we had my brother's best friend and his wife and their two kids (who now live in Dallas) join us as well.

My cooking duties included the rolls, the mashed potatoes, the deviled eggs, and the strawberry jello.

I've made mashed potatoes so many times, they don't scare me. Deviled eggs? Nothin! Jello? I must confess I can hardly call myself Mormon because my last year's jello assignment never made it to the table; it never set up. Who can't make jello?Anyway, it was a leap of faith to give me that job again.

Really though, the rolls on Thanksgiving are kind of a big deal. And bread and I don't have the best relationship. But in a grand surprise I turned out some pretty fantastic rolls. One of our guests even said they were "the best rolls I've ever had!" and I didn't even have to fish for that compliment. I made 48 and they were going, going, gone! Once again I must pay homage to Pinterest.

As we were about mid-way through the meal, we realized that we totally forgot the stuffing. It never even got made. I think that might be a Thanksgiving sin, but honestly I don't think anyone missed it that much.

And then as we were clearing the plates, my mom pointed out that my jello, again, never made it to the table. Poor stuff, right in the fridge, jiggly as ever, waiting for its debut, that would never come.

Dan tried to be nice and eat some today but his nostrils flared when he put it in his mouth, so I know he doesn't really like it.

He did ask me to make more rolls tonight so I think I can forgive him.

And because a post is hardly a post without some pictures, here's a series from a perfect- weathered Day-before-Thanksgiving adventure at the zoo. The highlight of which, was probably Max's love affair with the goats. And as expected, there are way more pictures of the kids than there are of the animals. Who needs another picture of a capybara when you could have one of a Max? Or an Ava? Or a Luke?


Max squared



Waiting for the giraffe to be let out



Once he was, he showed his excitement by running


It was like watching in slow motion, so graceful



And then we got to the goats









Jumping for joy!










2 comments:

Bebe McGooch said...

Sounds like a fantastic Thanksgiving! And great photos!

Leslie said...

It was a perfect day, huh!