Thursday, August 11, 2016

A Day in the Life of Jack


Just minutes after taking the boys to school for their first days of 1st and 3rd grades, I heard what sounded like the rustling of a cereal box from the other room. But I reassured myself that I replaced the Cheerio box on the counter, well out of reach, after I poured a bowl for Finn. 

But the sounds continued, followed by what was, unmistakably, a shower of cereal being poured out onto the floor. 

I ran in to find this.


Don't you remember the No Eating in the Family Room rule, Baby Jack? 

And sure enough, after looking in the kitchen, I had left the box exactly where I thought. But unfortunately, I forgot there was another smaller box, in the pantry, just calling Jack's name. 

Later, he pulled his usual trick and emptied the silverware drawer no less than 3 times today.



And we're proud to announce that Jack is 6 days sober. He hasn't hit the bottle since last Friday. That is a big deal because he basically used his bottle as a paci. It was rare to see him without it dangling out of his mouth at any and all hours of the day. You could say it's been an interesting week :/ I swear though, the amount of whining and crying has been the same. He still asks for, "Baba! Baba!" But we just tell him that "we gave it to the  babies." And for some reason that always makes him smile, at least for a minute before he asks again. 

Everyday he asks for it less, but more and more often I notice him doing this.



Which I have no idea how to remedy because, staying true to his form, while all the other kids took paci's, he never did, always preferring a bottle or now, his hand and he just keeps reminding me that my previous experience means nothing and I still don't really know what I'm doing.

1 comment: