Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sunday Sermon and Christmas Preparations

Last week we received a Christmas package from sister-in-law Christina. In it she included a family picture memory game. It is really neat. Each person has their own picture (including cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents.) There are two cards for each person and it's ideal for making matches or playing memory. Since the family is so spread out and our visits are few and far between, this game is a great way to learn names and remember faces.

For our family reunion trip in September, Ava was finally old enough to remember family. When she saw these cards, she already remembered a lot of the names and was having fun "making matches".




She was playing along, having a good time when out of the blue she was holding her cousin Marin's picture and she said she needed an "underlope" (which translates as envelope). I asked her why and she said she needed to draw Marin a picture and send it to her in the envelope. So, that's what we did.

As she was drawing, we decided that we needed to include a note so Marin would know who the picture was from. We had just recently sent a return drawing and note to her other cousin Olivia, so Ava knew the exact process. I explained that Ava's picture might really make Marin feel happy because Marin's family would be moving far away to a new home and Marin was very sad to leave. Getting this letter in the mail might make her feel happy.

My mind jumped to a time in high school, when I was up in my room and my mom called me downstairs and said she felt that I should call my Grandma Abbott right then to say hello. And that the call needed to come from me. I did as she suggested and over the phone my grandmother was so happy, she didn't go into much detail but she said that my call was just what she needed at that time.

So many times, Heavenly Father answers our prayers or meets our needs through other people. I pictured Marin, whether happy or sad, receiving this note from Ava, which said, "Marin, I want you to feel happy." Heavenly Father will do what He needs to by sending out other people to do His work on the earth. These two points were etched in my heart: Heavenly Father knows each and every little girl, nobody is too small or too big. And, secondly, we must follow the promptings of the spirit in all cases but especially in regards to service for others. This is how we can be instruments in His hands.

I am not suggesting that Ava was the answer to little Marin's prayers but whether in actuality or symbolically, this situation strengthened my testimony that our Heavenly Father knows exactly who we are, where we are, and how we feel. Nor am I positive that Ava's random desire to draw a picture for her cousin was a prompting from the spirit. Though I know that it's possible. I was just grateful that the example of my two year old could have such an effect on me.

* * * * * * * * *


Mom and Dad are here and we have been getting our Christmas groove on. We've been baking our cookies and goodies and wrapping presents.

Pressed cookies must be all the rage this year. I looked at three stores to find a cookie press with no luck. I had mostly given up until I found one at the grocery store, of all places, for $2.11. It is not Christmas to Dan without his mom's spritz cookies, so I didn't want to let him down. The dough's chillin' now- so far, so good.

Ava, as always, loves to help cook and wants to be a part of all the baking until, we turn on the mixer, at which points she runs from the kitchen saying, "Sacry!Scary!"



Ava "helping"


I've also had a lot of help wrapping presents,




Putting on tape, and "tying the ribbon".



The presents are not short on style either. Each one has a custom design, a la Ava.


And I am loving making Christmas preparations with one of my other favorite helpers!!


4 comments:

Tiffany said...

We miss you guys! I love hearing about your Christmas Celebrations. Our Christmas got over early this year. WE really wanted to come visit you before Christmas. We'll come when we get back. Corbin sends his loves!!!

dishes and laundry said...

That memory picture game is awesome! And I really liked your story about Ava sending the picture in the underlope, and the extended meaning of our small acts of service. I needed that.

Glad you are making the spritz cookies for Dan. Dan enjoys food like Aaron enjoys food. He raves and raves about whatever I make, telling me it's his favorite, make it again, can he have more, etc. Cameron kind of moves things around on his plate, asks if there is cheese (the devil) in it, and then eats a bowl of cereal. Guess who I like cooking for?

You guys have a wonderful Christmas!!! Love you!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

I'm so glad to have the other end of this story. Ava's letter arrived at our house while Paul was still out of town. He had been sending post cards to the kids but not one for every kid every day. Anyway that day there wasn't a post card for Marin but there was for several other of the kids. Then in the "big letters" there was Ava's picture and note. She was so happy to get it and she did feel remembered that day and loved. Thanks for helping Ava to help us. Please tell her Thank You and give her a hug from Marin (that usually has a butterfly kiss with it).

Melissa Wilson said...

Hey! Can I get that spritzer cookie recipe from you? Joe's mom had a great recipe that she's used for years but she lost the recipe in the move to Houston a few years ago. I have tried 2 recipes this season and they both turned out a little strange, so would you mind emailing or posting it for me?