Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Record Breaking Weekend

Christina, Chandra, Mom, Me, Leah

I must say that our weekend was a success! Many, many thanks to the dads that really made this possible, and to Mom for being the hostess, and to the girls who left their families on short notice to humor me and spend time together! Hopefully next year, we'll all be there!

Me and Leah

I had an itinerary and mint on everyone's pillow the first night. We roughly followed the outlined schedule. Had I known it would be necessary to set aside time for "talking" I surely would have added it in, as that is pretty much what we did the whole weekend. Talk, talk, talk!

Mom, Christina, Chandra

In the invitations I had specified that each person be prepared to share their "favorite thing". (yes, I stole it from Oprah.) So we enjoyed some great food and ice cream, nail polish, "treasure" beads, and "hugs".

Poppies

We went to the Dallas Arboretum, which is one of my favorite places of all time. We had a picnic lunch and enjoyed the perfect weather. We tried to capture some pictures of ourselves that would be husband's-desk worthy. I think we were mostly successful, depending on who you ask.

We went out to breakfast, did some shopping, went to a cooking "demonstration", made and ate goodies, and talked, talked, talked.



Christina's sugar cookies (check out the recipe blog for the know-how, coming soon!)


I envisioned more movie watching and game playing, but seriously, once we got sat down at the kitchen table, our mouths didn't stop moving long enough to pick a game and I doubt we would have heard a word of a movie.

To you this may look like poo poo,



but to an Abbott, this is a Magee's Cake. As one of her "favorite things", Mom had these mailed from Magee's Bakery in Kentucky. They are a little piece of heaven on earth.

I also got everyone set up with a blog. Go me! I am so excited because these are girls that mean so much to me and there is something about reading someone's blog that makes you feel like you talked with them. I always wish I could talk to them more. So I hope to be seeing some posts soon! Hint, hint! Perhaps, Girl's Weekend would make a good 1st post.

On Monday morning, we were able to have a watercolor class together (Christina, I really wish you could have been there. I think you would have done great!) It was super fun, and we all left with a beautiful little plumeria painting. It really inspired me to try some more on my own.






I arrived home last night to a bouquet of flowers and a thank you note from my little family. When I was planning to come home and heap my gratefulness onto them, they beat me to it and really made me feel good. My babies are still cute and my husband is still sweet.

So, you may be wondering what record was broken this past weekend. Well, I had very good intentions of prepping some meal options for the dinners I would be gone for. Unfortunately I ran out of time. I did have time to run to the store and fill our fridge, freezer, and pantry with all the essentials and some "extras". In a phone call right before I started out for home, I asked what they had eaten while I was gone. Dan assured me that the kids had been fed each day and that he made a lot of macaroni and ramen noodles for Ava, and Luke had eaten his baby food, meat, and cheese. Then he told me that they also ate 40 tortillas.

6 comments:

i i eee said...

40 tortillas. That's awesome.

Looks like you had a good time!

Val said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend! I want to see the "husband's desk worthy" picture!! And I am SUPER impressed with the plumeria's...seriously awesome!!

Melissa Wilson said...

I love this idea! I want to do this with either my sisters and one sister in law or joes sisters and sisters-in law! How fun! I looks like you have a very artistic family (check out those water colors!)

dishes and laundry said...

Hahaha! I was not expecting the 40 tortillas! Were they in quesadilla form or fried up and dipped in salsa?

Sounds like the best weekend ever. I love the mint and the itinerary - when I did my girl's weekend I did a little baggie with some chocolate and a mixed cd and some lotion - but the itinerary tops that.

Tell us what makes the Magee's cake so yummy!

Nate & Emily said...

Good to meet you Elise and Dan! Any friend of Nate's is a friend of mine. He has always had good taste in friends. It's fun to look at your blog to learn more about you. Tell Val "hi". I love that girl! She is one of my dearest friends.

The Allens

Nate & Emily said...

Dan & Elise!

This is Nate Allen. Great to hear from you. Your family is adorable and your blog is a very fun place to visit - the product of a talented writer and great mom. From the looks of things, we have very evenly matched kids. Our Eliza is 2 1/2 and Ben is coming up on 1 year soon.

I see from your linked blogs you are in touch with several friends from the Y ward. How great! I still get email updates from Stephanie Luce-ForgotHerMarriedNameRightNow. It's impressive to see all the families growing. I'll be sure to check in now and again on the Colton's. Thanks for finding us.