Sunday, August 31, 2008

Business trips, shots, haircuts, and hurricanes

Well Dan left today for a two week Canadian work adventure.



Two weeks feels like an eternity right now.

I miss him already.

Thankfully my parents are here with me and between their visit here and my visit there, I won't have to go it alone too much.

Ava starts preschool this week and we are both excited. I met her teacher at an orientation this past week and she is very nice. A couple of kids from the ward are in her class including her pal Quentin so hopefully it won't be too scary.

In preparation, she got the last of her shots. She hated it from the second we walked into the doctor's office up until we found the new princess shoes I promised her in Toys R' Us.




We even made a pit stop at McDonald's for an early morning soft serve cone. Poor thing is her mother's daughter, but at least she didn't pass out.

I am very happy, though, with the fact that she is now fully vaccinated and I didn't have to do them all crammed together. I feel good about how it's worked out.

Luke also paid the doctor a visit this week for his 12 month (14 months-ooops) check up. He is healthy and happy and big.

He is in the 90% for both height and head and 50-75% for weight. He has big hands and feet and we've taken to calling him puppy. His teeth are still making their way through his gums and he is often very wet, as evidence.

Can you see his slobbery tummy?


He had an appointment with Grandma, the hairdresser, and fortunately she is very accommodating. It was quite entertaining to watch her try to get him on the move.



He positively freaks out if he's strapped into his highchair and you try to cut his hair. This is about the only way to work it at this point. And for the method employed, the results are really surprisingly good.
And what it lacks in technique and symmetry, he makes up for in cuteness.

While Luke was running football patterns through the living room with Grandma and her scissors not far behind, Dan and Dad were happily glued to the TV for College Football.




Especially BYU. Thank goodness they won yesterday, or the mood in the house would have been much more somber.

Hopefully, Gustav will not head this way, especially while Dan isn't around.

1 day down, 12 more to go!

5 comments:

Kellie said...

Hang in there - two weeks is a long time! However, if it makes you feel any better, Tom left five months ago this week.

Leah said...

Having your man gone is STINKY!!! Good luck to Ava on her first week of preschool! Hopefully, she will love it and you will get a little break each day with just Luke!
I'm starting my packing list!

Melissa Wilson said...

I am glad your parents are there to help you out! Good luck with preschool, I can't wait to hear all about it (and to have our own experience on Wed!)

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Glenn has been out of town for 3 weeks already. I know how you feel. Hang in there!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

You would have thought Gramma had learned not to run with scissors by now, or maybe we could just call her Gramma Scissor Hands if the haircut is good. I got used to Paul being gone when he was consulting but now I've gotten soft again. When he goes to Logan for three days it feels like forever. Glad Mom is close.