Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pretty personal, possibly boring, Sunday sermon

Tragedy in the lives of strangers has left me haunted and weepy and contemplative this week.

What is frustrating is that, sometimes I end up contemplating, wondering, and/or not understanding ideas that I have previously contemplated, wondered about, and/or not understood. And somehow that first time I found resolution in my heart but by not writing it down, when a situation like this arises again, I am left thinking about the same things, only even more frustrated because I knew that at one time I had the answer or at least was at peace with my level of understanding.

Among some other things, I have been thinking about prayer and the line between our prayers and the plan our Father in Heaven has for each of us. I have been thinking about the cloudy area between what our prayers accomplish because of our faith and the things that happen in our lives because it is the will of the Father.

If it is in the cards that someone is meant to die, or less morbidly, attend a certain college, or have a certain life experience, then how are our prayers in faith for a contradictory experience involved? Are there instances in which the outcome of these seemingly requisite experiences changes based on our prayers? I guess I'm not really thinking of the smaller instances of life but rather the larger, life changing, earth shattering ones. When we pray for what we want, if it is not the Father's will, what is the point? (don't worry I figured it out)

And I'm not thinking about how sometimes the answer to our prayers is a "no". I am talking about intercessory prayers and pleading in faith and sorrow and desperation for something when trauma hits. My thoughts flittered between the circumstances of these strangers and circumstances of my own life. Futhermore, my thoughts here are mostly about my own experiences and not meant to illustrate my opinions or feelings towards anyone else's circumstance.

Let me also say that I have a testimony of prayer. I have seen small miracles in my own life and the lives of others through prayer. I know that prayer changes things.

But these recent events brought back these questions. Naturally, I called my mom and also my Gospel Guru, Leah (my sister). Through discussion with them I came back to some realizations that I've apparently had before and maybe some new ones. And I am writing them down here and now. Next time I will know! Here they are in bullet form:

  • One of the main purposes of prayer is to align our will with the will of the Father. When we pray with the spirit, the spirit can dictate to us, what to pray for. When praying in faith with the spirit, your prayer will line up with the will of God. I have prayed with the spirit minimal times in my life. I think this is a goal (for me) and not the norm, necessarily. D&C 46:30- "He that asketh in the Spirit asketh according to the will of God; wherefore it is done even as he asketh."
  • Assuming that the will of God will be done (which it will) and therefore not praying, disregards His presence, mercy, omnipotence, love, grace, etc. People who choose not to pray do not acknowledge Him.
  • As far as these tragic events in our lives go, and our faith and fasting and prayers in regards to them, I was comforted to remember that in our lives, if there had been no challenge, we would have proved nothing. And we are here to prove ourselves.
  • I believe that there are instances in which faith, fasting, and prayers, can extend a life on earth. I also believe that there are times when no amount of prayer or fasting will save a life, because it is the Father's will that they must die at that time.
  • I do know that no prayer is ever wasted. Whether it is a prayer dictated by the Holy Ghost or it is the sincere pleading of our own desires, the prayers are heard by one who knows and loves us and has far greater understanding and perspective than us. And I trust that He will do what is best.

6 comments:

Leah said...

Thanks. I love you.

Leslie said...

Father in Heaven is awesome! I am so thankful that he provides answers for everything. It's nice to be able to figure out how things work! And then later learn some more---and more--and then something else--

KCK said...

Oh Elise, I have struggled terribly at times with the whole concept of "aligning our will with the Father's." Especially when I'm having a pity party about challenges that seem overwhelming and it doesn't appear to be His will to lessen them or remove them from me.

Sometimes I think the hardest part is having the faith that this really IS His will and is best for us. At times I think all we can do is simply ask Him for comfort and support to weather the challenges we face.

Thank you for your words and insight.

dishes and laundry said...

Yes, thank you, Elise. I've been an absolute mess this past week. I simply can't stop crying and worrying and wondering.

I want to print up the last bullet point and hang it by my bed, in the kitchen, the boys' room, everywhere.

Beautiful post.

Lulu said...

It's part of our nature to not want any tragedy, or pain, or sorrow to come into our lives or the lives of people we know and love. And it may sound trite, but it was in the fine print when we signed on to experience this mortal life. I have experienced times when I have prayed and prayed for something which I felt was a righteous desire. And then I wonder if I'm praying for the wrong thing and I ask God to tell me what I should be praying for. And then I ask forgiveness for being impatient and letting myself become discouraged. And then I remind myself that my view is small and that God sees the big picture. And I pray for greater faith.

I, too, was very touched by your last bullet point.

Don and Robin Cooper said...

Your posts are never boring, but very heart felt. I love you!