Sunday, October 12, 2008

Here's a few things I learned this weekend:

The abbreviated version
1.
Babysitter for 8 hours: $50

Tickets to So You Think You Can Dance:$70

Dinner with friends: $30

Laughing until you cry: priceless



2. sleep deprivation + low blood sugar + trying to teach (10) 12 year old girls in a little room = not good


3. Playing in dirt in the backyard is hazardous to a babies health, if that dirt pile is actually an ant hill.


The detailed version

1. We went to see the So You Think You Can Dance tour last night. We had a really great time. Dinner before hand was entertaining. Dan created quite the commotion by dropping his full glass of water onto his plate, breaking the plate and dumping the water onto his shorts. A couple of us got to laughing so hard that even our tears couldn't make us stop. It has been a while since I've laughed like that. It felt pretty darn good. (Val, send me some pics!)



The concert was fabulous. It was neat to see the dancers in person (albeit from very far away!) that we had watched on TV all those weeks. They performed almost all of my favorite routines and even filled the time between numbers with cheesy, well-memorized dialogue.

And for your viewing pleasure, here are some dark and fuzzy pictures taken from the farthest corner of the arena,




And the kids did great with the new babysitter and hopefully we didn't traumatize her by being gone so long.

2. After a fun filled, late night, I had my first very disappointing experience teaching the girls at church today. I think it was a combination of many things (listed above) but let's just say I cried through the lesson and it wasn't because I was moved by the spirit.

3. The day just got sarcastically better when right before the home teachers arrived this evening, Luke happened upon an ant hill in the back yard and got himself eaten alive.




Oh, I cannot tell you how bad I feel for that boy. If it's not one thing it's another. The bites were mostly on one leg and one arm but the sheer number caused the allergic reaction over his entire body. He looked like a miserable pink sausage with a rash. His ears were swollen.




Even his belly button was swollen. After a baking soda bath and a dose of benadryl the nurse from the answering service advised a trip to the emergency room. That's where he got a dose and prescription for baby steroids and where he started to slowly return to his former shape and size. I just do not envy him and the pain and itching he will feel this next little while. I know how bad one or two bites are but my guess is he has closer to 40.



Poor, poor baby.

10 comments:

i i eee said...

Sadness!

Poor Luke. :(

Sorry about your lesson as well. Sounds awful.

Don and Robin Cooper said...

OH MY! OUCH for Luke! Hope today finds him with much relief. No worries about your lesson with the girls...it will be better next time. So glad you had fun on your date night! Poor Dan!

Kellie said...

Ohh, poor sad baby. I'm glad everything was ok - it's pretty scary when you kid starts to swell (which is why I now have 2 epi pens). The concert looks way fun! If Tom were here, we'd of probably gone. He'll be home a month from tomorrow, though, so that's something.

Jill said...

Poor Luke! It sounds like a crazy day! I'm sorry.

ash said...

1. Super jealous about the concert! So awesome!

2. I've had that kind of lesson, I am so so so sorry!

3. That last picture of Luke makes me want to cry. Poor little guy!

4. We love you!

dishes and laundry said...

Aaaaahhh! Ant bites -- that's crazy! Poor Luke! This kid has more stories...

Troy dumped his water on his lap at a restaurant one time - I remember laughing and laughing...the boys were with us, laughing as well. Troy, good natured as he is, laughed along with us. Good times.

Sorry about your lesson. That's a big group of girls. Better luck next time {{{hug}}}

Seriously, those ants! I've gotta look at that picture again.

The Katy Daileys said...

And there I was next door just sitting there! I am so sorry I did not know the girls were being awful...I would have smacked them around for you! Just kidding about the smacking, but not about helping out. I saw Suzanne leave and it did not click that it meant you were alone in there! Forgive me! You give such amazing lessons, too!

My computer died today so this post answered my question about Luke's bites that I e-mailed you (I am on the kids computer). That is so scary. Have they all turned to little puss pockets yet...oh, fire ants are so darn nasty!

Glad you had fun date with hubby! Hope today is a better day!

Leah said...

Oh, Mylanta!! The poor thing!! We will have to start a ritual fast for his health each month!
Glad you had a great date too!

Tara said...

poor little guys...hope he will be feeling better soon! those ants are so terrible!
Sounds like the show was fun! Was Thayne there? I never did hear if he got to go? He is my cousin so it's a fun very small claim to fame!
Just give Kailee the evil eye if she is causing you trouble and I will reinforce one of those too here at home!

Val said...

Oh Elise...at least all your adventures, good or not so good, lead to entertaining blogs. :) I'll get busy with pictures soon. You'll have to do a re-post with pics of Dan's soaked shorts and us crying our eyes out laughing. Good times... :)