I keep waiting to find out that I'm being replaced by a machine or that my job is being outsourced to India. I am definitely not keeping up with production around here.
Monday we were waiting for the delivery of our new mattress. Unfortunately our cat-pee mattress which had been stank-free since the incident started reeking after we moved. I don't know if it was the week in storage or what. What I do know is that it only took one night to convince us both that no matter the cost, we would be buying a new bed.
My unpacking had slowed anyways, with most of the essentials unearthed. We had been relegated to the h0use for so many days by time frames like 8-11, 10-1, 1-5, all for various installers, setter-uppers, and deliverers.
But by mid-morning on Monday we needed to get out. It was beautiful weather so I decided that a walk was in order. My sprained ankle had been healing gloriously and I had been walking without much pain for a few days. It had it's moments of weakness, now and again and still hurt if I moved it the wrong way. But walking didn't give me much trouble.
So off we went. I chatted with my sister on the phone while I pushed the double stroller. The delivery man called to tell me he was 30 minutes away so I turned around and headed home. In front of my neighbors house I must have stepped on an acorn, or a crack, or a shadow, and I rolled my ankle again. I didn't fall because I hung on to the stroller, but I did hop on one foot the rest of the way and collapsed on the ground in front of the garage. I called my mom, who was luckily working just a few minutes away. I could not remember the code to open the garage. And in less than 2 minutes my already slightly swollen ankle looked like I had stuffed a softball under my skin. I started to feel light headed. Then my mom showed up.
It's not broken.
The doctor scolded me for not wearing the aircast. He gave me crutches and asked me if I needed a note for work. I told him it would be unnecessary given that fact that my employers can't read.
After a day, I ditched the crutches because the whole idea was laughable. It's been an interesting few days. I think I might wear out the knees in my new jeans from all the crawling I've done.
I will go to the orthopedist tomorrow. He will probably tell me that I should be elevating it and icing it more, which I already know but can't seem to accomplish.
Along with all the other stuff I know I should be doing but can't seem to accomplish. Which is why I'll probably be getting the old heave, ho any day now.
Ava said the other day in regards to her fear of getting something messy on her homework,
"If I got this messed up, then my teacher would be so mad at me. I'd get fired. I'd get fired and I'd have to get a new job, wouldn't I, Mom?"
You and me both, Baby.
5 comments:
I'm glad you hung up with me before you hurt yourself-I would have felt so bad that I couldn't be there to help you! Good luck with healing and still being mom! Ah, the good ol' days when being sick meant you got to sleep it off in bed and getting injured meant you were waited on hand and foot by mom:)
oh, I am so sorry...I have sprained my ankle millions of times...well like maybe 6 times...but all before I ever had kids...I was a little more dangerous in a previous life...I can just imagine you crawling on the floor...I remember doing that a lot...I wish we were there! your costume's were really cute.
Oh Elise! I just love you and your witty writing :) I wish you would've stuck around a little longer in Houston because I could use some Elise time. I hope your ankle goes back to being normal size and pain-free soon!
Oh my, is it cruel that while this post does make me sad for you that it also makes me smile?! You write a good story, sister. :) Miss you like the trees miss their leaves about now...
Being "fired" is a common term at our house these days...probably shouldn't have shown Ella, Abinadi quite yet. Hope your ankle heals quickly! Miss you around these parts!
Post a Comment