And now I fight the urge to refer to all hamburger and hot dog buns as bums. Actually, I lie. I don't fight it. I just go ahead and call them bums.
Christmas is upon us and it's nothing new but I thank my lucky stars for Dan everyday. He really takes charge of the Christmas present planning and has it all ordered and picked out, which at this point in my life is so good, because if not, who knows what, if anything, would end up under the tree.
But Christmas, it's only second to Easter in my book. And I started early this year. I got a bee in my bonnet to make a silent Christmas Lesson for the Young Women. (I'm back in YW, which is a separate post for sure). I usually refuse to acknowledge Christmas before Thanksgiving is over, but I knew I needed every ounce of time I could scrape together to make the video, so I started before we left for our Utah Thanksgiving. And guess what? I loved it. It didn't hurt Thanksgiving at all. In fact, I think it probably made me even more mindful of the magnitude of my blessings.
Our trip to Utah for Thanksgiving went well. Jack helped me drive.
We had a delicious dinner and were hosted so sweetly by Dan's brother and sister in law, Jared and Ashley in Logan. It stresses me out to bring our family into other people's homes because it's kind of like inviting Barnum and Bailey and all their animals to sleep over for a few days.
But our kids were in heaven being with their cousins 24-7.
In fact, I think Max and Greta probably broke some records. They played, and played, and played, and then played some more.
We had a delicious dinner and were hosted so sweetly by Dan's brother and sister in law, Jared and Ashley in Logan. It stresses me out to bring our family into other people's homes because it's kind of like inviting Barnum and Bailey and all their animals to sleep over for a few days.
But our kids were in heaven being with their cousins 24-7.
In fact, I think Max and Greta probably broke some records. They played, and played, and played, and then played some more.
The only downside to the trip was that there wasn't much time beyond Thanksgiving day to see the rest of the family. We did make a trip down to see Rachel and her family and then continued on to Salt Lake to see the lights at Temple Square. We have been to Utah for the holidays for so many years I've lost track, but we'd never taken our kids to see the lights and it was really bugging me. So we went.
It was the first night and therefore more crowded than the Ft. Worth Zoo on a free day and it was booty cold.
Ava opted to stay in Logan with her cousins but Dan and I and the boys braved it and had a pretty great time aside from our dinner experience at JB's right off the square. The waiter, some sort of older Eastern European guy, was less than impressed to be serving us and our kids. And the kids were actually being fine. And we were even one short! As other childless couples would get seated in his section, he would greet them with syrup in his voice. And when he walked past us, he'd glare. It was seriously the worst service I have ever had at a restaurant, ever. When Dan asked him what kind of drinks they had, he sneered, "Cock praducks" ("Coke Products" in Slovakyrgestian), a phrase Dan and I couldn't help but repeat to each other for the next two weeks. And when I asked him for the ice cream that came with the kids meals, he told me he could get them "if I really wanted him to."
It was the first night and therefore more crowded than the Ft. Worth Zoo on a free day and it was booty cold.
Ava opted to stay in Logan with her cousins but Dan and I and the boys braved it and had a pretty great time aside from our dinner experience at JB's right off the square. The waiter, some sort of older Eastern European guy, was less than impressed to be serving us and our kids. And the kids were actually being fine. And we were even one short! As other childless couples would get seated in his section, he would greet them with syrup in his voice. And when he walked past us, he'd glare. It was seriously the worst service I have ever had at a restaurant, ever. When Dan asked him what kind of drinks they had, he sneered, "Cock praducks" ("Coke Products" in Slovakyrgestian), a phrase Dan and I couldn't help but repeat to each other for the next two weeks. And when I asked him for the ice cream that came with the kids meals, he told me he could get them "if I really wanted him to."
"Yes, I paid for them and I really want you to."
The food was just sketch, too. The ice cream would have been the safest course except I'm sure he spit in it. I'm not even kidding. He was so horrible. I told Dan there was no way we were tipping him. But then Dan felt bad and started imagining him living a lonely, horrible life and left him $5.
Anyways, if there's anything to be learned from all this, it's to stay away from the JB's by Temple Square.
We drove home just in time to put up our tree before the kids started back to school and real life began again.
No comments:
Post a Comment