Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pumpkin-Pickin'

Yesterday we went on a little adventure! My friend Val and I took our kids and met Tiffany with her kids at Dewberry Farm in Brookshire, TX to get us some pumpkins! And I think that the actual pumpkin-picking became almost secondary to all the fun stuff that was there.

So Val and I arrived first and let me just preface this recap with the idea that Ava has been doing awesome with her potty training but like any kid, she still has the occasional accident. They usually happen when a) she's tired or b) she's doing something really fun and she doesn't want to miss anything for a potty break. And I knew this trip might possibly include both. Also let me say I have a little case of what I like to call Potty Paranoia. After our first and only (so far) public accident I have become very vigilant when we're out and about and I keep my diaper bag stocked with what I hope won't be needed!

Before we left I told Ava we were going to a farm and she could use the potty there. She thought she'd get to "poop in a barn" (her words, not mine!) and I didn't disagree so lucky for us, that's exactly where the restrooms were located. We arrive and after a quick restroom break,

we walk around a bit and take this picture:


and then this one:


and we gotta get Quentin in there:


And this is the scene of the crime. Ava stands up and her little blue dress and Dora panties are wet and sticky. "Ah!" I say. She JUST went potty 3 minutes ago. But upon further inspection we realize it's not you-know-what, she actually sat on a rotten pumpkin! Not much better. I didn't want to use the pull-up in my bag because we still had the whole day ahead of us. So this is what resulted:



I took Val's suggestion to be a little "white-trashy" and let Ava's undies air dry before putting her shorts on. Really this experience was a fairly minor part of the day and we went on to have lots of fun!

My camera's battery died on the hayride so here's some more pictures of our adventures from Tiffany's camera.
Here's Ava and Corbin on the hayride to the "pumpkin patch". The farmer informed us that due to the heavy rainfall this year, all they could plant where Jack-be-Little Pumpkins. Each child got to pick one to take home. Ava is in love with hers and won't hardly leave a room without it.



Here they are with their picks:


After the hayride we ate a picnic lunch, rode this corn train,



jumped on this big pillow,


rode these cool four wheeled bikes that I don't have pictures of, petted goats and a miniature donkey, chased the chickens, cockadoodled with the rooster, and picked out a big pumpkin ("a daddy" for Ava's little one) to take home. I don't think I have ever had such a sweaty, water guzzling, pumpkin picking trip before, but it was fun! Ava was ready to drop by the time we left! Thanks for the fun day, Tiffany and Val!

3 comments:

dishes and laundry said...

It sounds and looks like you had a blast!! Ava is so stinkin' cute! Seriously.

Isn't it funny what you take pictures of when you know you're going to blog about it?

That looks like a really fun place - lots to do. Tell Ava that I like the tiny pumpkins too.

Val said...

Love the commentary...it's perfect. I'll send you my pics soon so you can add one of you and Ava on the awesome 4-wheeler bikes! Thanks again for inviting us - we had a great time!!

Mommy B said...

I found your blog reading Chenae's! We are planning a trip to Dewberry later this month. Sounds like a fun time.