Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday Sermon

I haven't written one of these for a while but I had a tingly moment during Sacrament Meeting today.

First of all we arrived at church during the opening hymn which is a miracle in and of itself. Usually we run in and catch the sacrament in the foyer. Today was better.

The speakers today were comprised of some of the graduating seniors, including a girl who I sat by a few weeks ago at a dinner before the General Young Women's Broadcast. The mothers were invited to come with their daughters. I went by myself since I obviously don't have a daughter that age.

I got there a bit early and found a seat by the only people I recognized. We got our food and people settled into conversations around me. I have a terrible habit of feeling sorry for myself. And of being surrounded by lots of people but feeling alone. I try hard to stop my negative thinking and focus on others but it doesn't always work. I don't generally enjoy small talk and don't feel confident starting conversations with people I don't know well.

That night though, I pondered on what I could talk about with this girl because I would genuinely like to get to know her and all the girls better. I realized that she was a senior and I wondered what her plans were for next year. So maybe I could ask her? That's not so hard. But still it took some courage for me. Once I did though, the conversation flowed easily. She told me her plans to attend a community college by A&M. Being somewhat familiar with that area and the wonderful institute there, I excitedly told her what I knew. But through our talking I realized that being new to the area, she had signed up to attend a satellite campus in a small town about 45 minutes from the institute and main campus in Bryan. I told her she should consider switching to the campus in Bryan where she could be more in the action of things and the great institute and singles ward. She got really excited and seemed glad for the information. We went on to enjoy a great broadcast and that was that.

Today at the end of this young woman's talk she mentioned how a few weeks ago she had a ho-hum attitude about attending the YW Broadcast. But figuring it was her last one and she could go with her mom, she went. And at the time her plans included going to school in Brenham. She then related how at the dinner one of her YW leaders (me) started talking to her about school and mentioned the Bryan campus. She said that as she heard the word "Bryan" she just felt a strong impression that was where she should be. She changed her plans to follow that inspiration.

Now I hope you don't think I'm patting my own back. Because I'm not. I sat there and got the tingles as she related this story because it was once again evidenced for me that God knows us. And He sees everything. He has plans for us. He cares about each decision, large and small. And He will do what He needs to do to give us the information we need, to do what we need to do. I am happy that I could serve Him and this young woman in this way. I am happy that for once I got over myself and opened my mouth. I truly want to be of service to Heavenly Father.




And on a more irreverent note, today as we took the Sacrament, Dan leaned down to Ava and whispered, "Remember to think about Jesus. Jesus is our brother." And with anger, though not breaking a whisper, Ava hissed back, "Jesus is not my brother! Baby Luke is my brother!"

8 comments:

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Yay! I've been waiting for one of these! They make me feel good. I also like the picture. I think I recognize both of the outfits!

dishes and laundry said...

Love the pic - Luke is just having the time of his life!

I've missed your Sunday posts too. It can be hard to just start up a conversation...good for you for being brave. Sounds like it was inspired.

I also like the more irreverent stories, hehehe

Lulu said...

I think you are very good at knowing how to talk to people and saying the right thing to say. But I agree with dishes that this was probably inspired. You are a very spiritual person and that makes you worthy of inspiration.

Leah said...

So, I never really knew that about you and people. I thought I was the one who was that way. You always have so many friends and make it look so easy:) What an example you are to me! And, I recognize that little boy outfit too! How fun to be able to pass things along!

Val said...

I love your willingness to be so open on your blog. I think you are so great, Elise!! Thanks for stopping by today...we finished off all the cookies tonight after dinner...they were very yummy! By the way, Ava is my idol. She freakin' cracks me up.

Melissa Wilson said...

Well you made me cry and then you made me laugh out loud... (maybe all those prego hormones??) Emma would have said something like that! Little girls are so unpredictable!

Tara said...

I saw your name on Val's blog so I decided to head over and sneak a peek!! You have such a cute family!! Can I just tell you how excited I am to have you be Kailee's YW leader...she just loves you and has felt alot more welcome in YW since your arrival!! Thanks for all you do! You are awesome!

Kellie said...

Hooray for the Institute! Dad will be happy for another recruit. That really was an inspired conversation. The kids that go to Blinn in Brehnam really struggle because there is no social scene whatsoever. Way to pave the road, Elise. I'm proud'a you.

On another note, I wish we were in the same ward. I have all those same feelings in my new ward too. However, I guess if I had someone to really talk to, then I wouldn't have to force myself out of my comfort zone. Funny, that.