Friday, April 18, 2008

What Not To Do

So I have readily admitted that as a gardener, I don't know what I'm doing.

My last update showed vibrant, green, flourishing plants.

Many of them are still vibrant, green, and flourishing.



Remember this beautiful picture of the cilantro and basil that made my mouth water?




It looked perfect. At the time of the photo, I remember thinking to myself, "I should probably pick those. They would be excellent contributors to a dinner. Hmmm....do you just rip off little pieces? How much is too much? Is there a method? I'll have to google it."

And then I went on my way, prepared for Girl's Weekend, left instructions for Dan to "Don't forget to water the garden!" (which he did), and promptly forgot about them.

I returned home to find them like this,


What?! After a little research, I think that when I bolted to Dallas, my herbs did a little "bolting" of their own. These just don't look as appealing as they did, and apparently won't taste that way either.

Oh lessons learned, I guess! Now I just need to figure out if I have to start all over or if trimming them way down will help. Anyone out there know? Please fill me in.

The other guys are doing pretty good. My mom so kindly bought me this handy nozzle for the hose, that makes spraying the garden so easy.





The peas (those mystery plants are peas!) are doing great. In fact they're about to outgrow their stakes.




The strawberries are very happy looking too. I hope they don't outgrow their container.




And guess what?! I've got 2 little tomatoes!!



I bent down to take a close up of these little guys'. And in a bottom-soaking moment of shock and surprise, I apparently snapped this photo and quickly learned one more lesson.



Don't let your almost 3 year old, hold the hose.

6 comments:

Leah said...

what's a little water between mom and daughter? Hehehe. Looking good, Elise. Spring has arrived here and we will have to see about our garden too. Pass on those pearls of wisdom because I have to be even more novice than you!!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Hee,hee,hee, I'm sure Ava thought so too. I think you can just pinch the herbs back and they should get back to what you want. If I'm wrong they will just die anyway and you get to start over anyway. So it couldn't hurt to try. Hee,hee,hee :)

Leslie said...

I'm the lucky one who got to see the bottom watering event---too bad we don't have a picture of Ava and her wand making the wide, slow swing to the left--deftly aligned, accurately aimed, and perfectly timed---it seemed to all occur in slow motion until the water hit the bottom---Mom's bottom that is! It was good! Thanks for the fun--and the visit. Love ya!

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

like mommy like daughter!

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

like mommy like daughter!

Val said...

Well congrats on your thriving garden! I've come to the conclusion that I really shouldn't try to do one right now. Something tells me I have enough to tend to for the moment. Especially with another arriving in June. SO, instead I'll let you have us over when you make an amazing dinner with your homegrown veggies and herbs! :) What? I didn't just invite myself over! Okay, I did.