Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Confession, Children's Museum, and Crawfish

Well, I am back. I didn't go anywhere per se, but I feel like I've been absent from most things in my life recently. And here it is, my confession: I have been totally absorbed in silly vampire books that I swore I was never going to read. And I liked them. I now feel the ability to take care of my home and family returning. I can answer emails and comment on blogs. There, I said it. It's over, done. Moving on...

Two weekends ago, our friends, the Redds came down for my birthday. As always it was so fun to get together.


The Houston Children's museum was having a discount for the month of January so we took a little trip down there.



The kids had a really good time. The outdoor area had been under construction the last time we were there, but it was finished this time.



Everyone, including the dads had a great time in the water exhibit!


Luke was drenched AND happy!




Ava's favorite part though, was probably the face painting station, where she insisted that she do her own.


Her escapade in my makeup later that week (see previous post) probably had absolutely nothing to do with this.


Corbin was quite the architect with these building materials.




As soon as they were gone, it started, "Mom, I just miss Corbin!" So please, come again soon!! We miss you!

And by the grace of some other great friends, we feel that we have made another step to becoming true southerners.

I stopped by the Marcks for a little Cajun Night (Dan was unable to attend). And if you read their blog, then this post might sound oddly familiar. Anyway, I pretty much stood there at the table while Jordan dissected crawfish and left little shrimp nuggets on a plate for me. Val kept telling me to try and do it myself but I just couldn't. I just could. not. do. it.

Yeah remember this guy? I just kept seeing him in my mind.


It actually tasted pretty good if you could forget the fact that it came from a water-loving, cockroach-looking creature.



And they sent some home for Dan to prove his manliness.


He tried the ones they had so kindly peeled for him,





And then he even hyped himself up enough to peel?, dissect?, correct terminology anyone? a crawfish himself. Under my direction of course.


He didn't like it, but he did it.

You're my hero, Dan!

6 comments:

Val said...

hahaha! he has the bib on!

Leslie said...

You go Dan---I don't peel any thig except fruit and potatoes!

dishes and laundry said...

It always surprises me to see your pictures of "winter" activities - outdoor water exhibits and such. I forget that not every part of the country spends January under a blanket of snow and putting lotion on dry, itchy skin. I think I need to come for a visit!

Cajun night is awesome!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

What a blast from the past. The Children's Museum was one of our favorite places to go. Paul's work used to have a crawfish boil every year. Paul is a pro but I just couldn't do it. Not even if Paul peeled them for me. I'm glad you can enjoy Houston and glad you share the experience with me.

Leah said...

I think you 'shell' crawfish. I could be wrong...since I know I wouldn't have been in the same room with them let alone trying them!! But, I am glad there are people in the world who do. Leaves more beef and chicken for me.

Karen Scott Welker said...

You are more Southern than me. I can't look at them, let alone touch or (shudder) eat them.