Thursday, October 4, 2007

Dinner Delicious!

Last night I planned to make Shrimp Scampi. I hadn't had it in a long time and I love it! Many nights I get to make dinner with my lovely assistant, Ava. Sometimes its hard to find her a good job to do, but last night worked out great for her to stand on her chair and tear parsley into little bitty pieces.

It's getting kind of fun to have this little person around! When she was a baby, I remember thinking so often, "I wonder what she's thinking!". Now I can finally find out. She's started to tell me how she feels, and it's pretty interesting (this morning she said, "I'm still tired"). Also, she is the BIGGEST daddy's girl of all time (who wouldn't be, with a dad like Dan?) so she usually saves all of her sweetest sentiments for him. I was admittedly disappointed when I saw these Daddy-preferring tendencies at about 15 months, but I have made peace with them and really, there's not much I can do.

Anyways, back to the shrimp. As we stood there next to each other, making our dinner, she looked over at me and said, "I'm so happy, Mommy." I know it doesn't sound like much, but right then I felt my heart swell and all I could think was, "So am I."
Needless to say my shrimp scampi was extra delicious last night.

P.S. I substitute one cup of chicken stock for the white wine and it works BEAUTIFULLY!

7 comments:

Melissa Wilson said...

Hey you guys! I am so happy to see you have a blog! I love it and it is great to see you are doing so well! We have a blog and website. I stopped using the blogger blog a few months ago and now we just use our blog on www.melandjoe.com come visit us on there and leave us a little note!

Melissa Wilson said...

oh, the blogger one was http://wilsondiaries.blogspot.com

KCK said...

Mmm...sounds like a wonderful dish! Also looks quick and easy--my kind of dinner! Ellie will love helping me--great idea to have her chop the parsley.

i i eee said...

Tender.

dishes and laundry said...

Cute story and yummy sounding recipe.

A while back, Aaron was on a trip to SF with Troy and I was talking to him on the phone. It was right when school was starting and it had been a very rough transition - lots of tears and anger - so at the end of the week, we sent him off with Troy. As I was talking to him on the phone, it occured to me how utterly happy Aaron sounded. I asked him if he was happy and he said "Pretty much, I am." Whew. Having him happy makes me happy too.

Aaron was talking to his counselor last week (she's working on visualization and deep breathing and such to help him deal with his anxiety)and he needed to describe his "happiest place" to her. He named being in Troy's semi, on top of the Bay Bridge as his go-to happy place. The counselor kept telling me not to feel badly (I hadn't)that I wasn't part of his happy place, 'cause Troy wasn't either, hahaha, it's just Aaron, alone in the truck, on top of the bridge.

Maybe Ava's happiest place is being with you in the kitchen!

dishes and laundry said...

Your blog is awesome, by the way. Keep posting!!!!

Oh, and don't be shy about joining in for Movie Quote Monday over at my place!

ash said...

I have tears in my eyes. This is so sweet.