Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Do you believe in Reincarntion?

I got this shirt for $1 at the Goodwill yesterday. From my estimations it died sometime around 1997.



It must have lived a harmonious life because it was born again into a better state, in my opinion.

Months and months ago, when my sewing machine was just a twinkle in my eye, my sister Leah sent me the instructions that would change a shirt like this, into a dress like this...




I wonder what Ava was in her previous life...I have never met such a girl.

A few weeks ago at the dinner table, we asked her to get ready to pray. She usually complies by folding one arm and then sneaking food with the other throughout the prayer.

We asked her if she would like to say it. Her response,"No! Prayers make me sick!"


A few days ago, she took a toy from Luke. I asked her to give it back and she said, "I can't. My arm is too tired."

I told Ava that I was working on this new dress for her. She got really excited and said, "Mommy, when I get bigger, I gonna make a dress for you and make you happy."

Then she added that when she got bigger she would put stripes (she misunderstood me telling her about the dress' STRAPS) on Daddy's pants to make him happy and not so busy. (He's been working like crazy lately. You're doing good, Dan!)

I remembered this poem that reminds me so much of Ava,

There was a little girl,
that had a little curl
right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
she was very, very good,
and when she was bad,
she was horrid.



All said and done, she makes me laugh and she makes me cry and she makes me happy every single day.

13 comments:

ash said...

Where did you find the instructions? Please share, that dress is adorable!

Leah said...

I was just thinking of that shirt/dress thing the other day and was going to bring it up again since you have your sewing machine! It turned out great! You are such a star, Elise! Your garden is great too! We are thinking about ours but the weather is not there quite yet...

Melissa Wilson said...

You are amazing! :) I love the dress and will be needing those instructions!!!

dishes and laundry said...

That dress is awesome!!! It cost you one dollar - amazing. You are seriously talented!

I love Ava - she sounds spirited and wonderful. She reminds me of Aaron (but please don't be terrified of that! LOL)

Aaron said to me the other day that when he grows up, he's never getting married, he just wants to live all alone...except for the servants.

Tiffany said...

I Love the Dress. It is adorable. When I have a baby girl you are going to have to show me how to do it. I am glad you are finding lots of projects to do.

Elise said...

I linked the word "instructions" on the original post. The dress is super easy, and I did my own version of the straps/sleeves. Have fun!

Lori said...

Elise, you are amazing! I saw those instructions about a year ago and forgot all about it. I think that will be my new project too! Thanks for the post!

Val said...

I LOVE Ava. You will never go a day without being entertained or surprised by her! :) The dress is too cute! I am more and more inspired! I looked at sewing machines online and found what looks to be fairly decent for beginners (lots of good reviews) for $70!! I'm going to get it!

i i eee said...

Elise, you are so talented!! But I knew that already. ;)

I love that dress. And I love Ava.

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Ava's my girl! I thought I was the inspiration for that poem. I know there were days when Mom really wished you could sell kids to the Indians. I'm glad to see that the legacy continues. I love the dress. I'm planning a trip to the D.I. today just to look for a shirt. I love guys.

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Opps! I love YOU guys.

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

WOW! Elise you are so talented. Ijust can't believe that the dress used to be a t-shirt. You work magic girl. You are actually making me want to lear to sew. You are awsome. Keep posting you are so much fun. And Ava it's a new adveture with her everyday I bet.

Kellie said...

Cute dresses are one of the reasons I can't wait to have a girl. It'll be a little while though - I'm still recovering from 2 in 20 months (even though Dallin is 1 already)! Hey, by the way, would you email me? We're looking for a house down in Katy and I know y'all are down there. My email is kelsbog@gmail.com. Thanks, man!